Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of Planet-X?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I had brought clothes from them since full brexit, once they sorted that out. My most recent purchase I coincided with a visit to the UK, so took advantage of bundle offers they didn't offer outside of the UK (they're my favourite baselayers actually).

I had my eye on one(?) of the steel hardtails actually, waiting until the autumn. I guess we will see where they stand then. But Brexit must have killed a lot of their EU trade for bikes. And now, who would order one which isn't immediate dispatch?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They will do bundles outside of UK, but you have to contact them.

They had an issue were bundles were being returned by customs, so they have to discount the individual items and ship them as such.

Bought my well loved guerciotti from them and plenty other bits over the years. Some good, some bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭JMcL

They apparently moved to being employee owned in 2019, so after Brexit, but just before the sky fell in. I've only ever bought a few small bits and pieces from them over the years, but I always did think their bikes looked to rank high in the bang for buck stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭oinkely

Most recent order arrived from them less than a day after placing it. Admittedly it wasn't a lot but a set of bars, a few bottles and a swim bag/float thing. I had my eye on a tent too but couldn't justify it alongside the three already in the attic, despite my best rationalization that it would fit a niche between the ones i already have!

Hopefully they are still around though - as they are great for bits and bobs that are expensive elsewhere, drybags, bikepacking bags etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Lot of stuff on sale at the moment but the things I selected couldn't be shipped to Ireland ☹️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭mvt

Just wanted to say I ordered a couple of rear mech hangers on Tuesday & they arrived today so hopefully they can continue in business.

I bought a pro carbon with mainly dura ace (fsa cranks) in 2008 for less than one thousand pounds & it still is going well so can't complain about value.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Sounds like mine, still grand but used very little these days, MTB and gravel bike get more use

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Tidy. I’d have been sad to see it go.

Bought a lot from them when I was based in England and starting out on the bike.

Ridden many of their bikes over the years and the Pro Carbon was the pick of them for me.

They had a real unique selling point originally but they need to innovate again, or pivot, for longevity I reckon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It mentioned a slump in demand after lockdown? That'd run contrary to the narrative I've heard.

• Advertisement

I get the impression they had huge inventory after lockdowns and may have had to heavily discount some of the less desirable/more niche stuff

I thought the demand was during lockdown. Its quickly disappeared since.

This is always the planet x way though. They tend to get a lot of NOS stuff from time to time and can get it cheap at bulk discount and sell it on relatively cheap.

I got my Guerciotti Khyber with SRAM red (10spd) for about a grand 7 years ago from them. My favourite bike that unfortunately had an issue in the end. They offered me a decent discount on one of their own 5 years later that I didn't take

Agreed but I think things have moved on recently. A lot of people still want the latest and greatest from the big brands but a lot more are getting bikes direct from distributor (eg Canyon) or direct from China (eg Winspace).

Planet X appears the same today as it did circa 2012 here as there are far more options for consumers nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭JMcL

Unfortunately the misanthrope/pessimist in me reads "private equity" and comprehends "asset stripper"

I think there is still something of a market - only for the added complications of brexit changing the import to here, they were quite competitive v frame from china + build yourself. I think it could be more that they were overstocked with older generic frames?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had the very same thought. buy the name, sell it.

i mentioned it to a german friend who's a keen cyclist. he'd never heard of planet X, so maybe they never really expanded past britain and ireland.

Isn't that kinda what planetx did with Carnac, Podsacks, Hollingsworth?

Advertisement