Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shimano FD, cable clamp socket threads damaged... Any advice

Options
  • 05-06-2023 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I hope you are all well.

I was adjusting a Shimano 105 front derailleur...

Long story short the thread on the derailleur, that a bolt screws into, to clamp the cable, is rounded or damaged.

So the bolt won't screw in and hold the cable...

Do any of you know a fix for this or is it new derailleur time?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭cletus

That's a small thread, easily damaged. You could try to drill it out, retap a bigger hole, and replace the bolt (machine screw, really) with a bigger one too, but there's all sorts of issues there.

I'm not sure that you'd get a thread insert that small for it.

Might be new derailleur time, unless anyone here has a fix I haven't thought of

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,537 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just to confirm; it's the thread in the derailleur that stripped, rather than on the bolt? if so, i suspect it's beyond economic repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Evening...yes it is on the derailleur itself...

Thanks mate... Yea.. I did a few cable changes and remember following a YouTube video on front derailleur set up and practicing on it... Maybe I tightened the bolt a bit too much.. but the thread doesn't seem to be very robust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭hesker

I would retap the hole first with the same size as the current bolt. You might get lucky.

After that it’s the method recommended by Cletus and you may be as well off buying a new der as going to that trouble.

• Advertisement

It's worth a try, I suppose, but there's probably only 3 full threads on a hole that size. I wouldn't trust it afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭hesker

The only other thing I can think of is a longer bolt and nut, if you have the clearance at the far side. You’d probably need a third hand if that’s going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

If there's still some threads left I'd try some ptfe tape on the screw and see if it holds. I wouldn't be getting to carried away buying bit s though the front mechs are usually pretty cheap. €10-€30

Just be sure it will work with your current groupset before buying second hand

https://www.adverts.ie/bike-group-sets/shimano-105-front-derailleur/30439336

Hi! Thank you for the replies... And the link to the ad... €10 for a FD... Can't go wrong there...

Is it just me or are Shimano middle to higher end components very easy to round the threads of... ie the metals seem very soft and fragile?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭G1032

I don't think it's just you. Damaged the bolt on an R7000 FD myself before.

Advertisement