Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin/Wicklow mountains route alone

Options
  • 04-06-2023 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hoping someone can recommend a route in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains that's safe enough to ride alone?

Got a route from Strava route builder and drove it to suss it out and a lot of the road was poor surface and/or blind bends etc

I'd be starting on the Drumcondra/Northside of the city

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I’m assuming you are talking road bike. There’s plenty of well traveled routes. What sort of distance and climbing are you thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭DrumcDub1

Yeah road bike! Anything in the region of 80-100km and 1,000m climbing maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭saccades

[quote]Got a route from Strava route builder and drove it to suss it out and a lot of the road was poor surface and/or blind bends etc[/quote]

Welcome to Wicklow🤣🤣

I can't help you get through Dublin but the top of the Sally gap is about 1000m of climbing from most places, easy to then head to enniskerry via the old long mile hill and then race to glencree to get the distance up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

Used to do from North side over the east link through sandymount, up by the RDS to the junction of N11 at donnybrook bus depot and up to clonskeagh and then onto sandy Ford, Stepaside and from there a few choices to get up into the wicklow mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭DrumcDub1

Bit the bullet and did it this morning. Went up from Tallaght to Brittas then Sally Gap. Came down by the Hellfire club, all in about 1,000m. Found it very tough 2/3km from the top mind you!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I saw your spin on Strava - decent times going up Sally 👍

There is another climb if you take the last left as you're heading out from M. Kilbride towards Sally Gap (7km from Sally). This brings you past Kilbride army camp, over Ballinascorney and down towards Tallaght (although the reverse route might be a little but more if a challenge).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Apologies for hijacking this thread but looking for a similar recommendation. I'm from Cork and not familiar with the Wicklow Mountains at all. Will be up in Dublin for the day in a couple of the weeks while my wife is at a work meeting. Looking for a nice route 100-125km and 1000-1500m climbing. I was thinking of starting in Enniskerry but open to ideas as long as there's parking available at the start point. Naturally would like to avoid busy roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Maybe park in blessington, then go wicklow gap, laragh, roundwood, Sally gap, brittas, blessington... if you're really in the mood go blessington, wicklow gap, laragh, enniskerry, glencree, Sally gap, brittas, blessington. Would tick a few of the major wicklow boxes for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Thank you :) mapped that out on Strava, 100km and 1500m for the longer option.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Cool, some good coffee stop options in laragh, enniskerry and even glencree too, there's a shop in Kilbride too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement