Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer in Schipol - visit Amsterdam?

Options
  • 04-06-2023 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Hi, I will have about a 7 hour transfer in Schipol (with two kids 11/12). Wondering if it is possible to head into Amsterdam or is there still a bit of chaos?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Yes. Just get the train to Central Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,558 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

7 hours feels long in an airport but leaving an airport, getting to Amsterdam, doing some activities and then getting back to the airport/through security - might be a bit of a rush, especially with two kids?

Could be more stressful than it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Jesper

I was there 3 weeks ago. Embarrassing how many transfer options there are to get into the city (Dublin airport I'm looking at you) and for good value - direct rail, metro, bus, taxi, hotel shuttle busses. Very well signposted as well.

But 7 hours is a tight time. There are also hotels in the airport - I think these can be booked for 1/2 days in some locations. Also I'd consider booking an airport lounge for the few hours. Shower facilities, food, tv's, quiet spaces etc. Might be the easiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

You can get to Amsterdam in 45 mins or less from Schipol, trains every 10/20 mins.

45 mins to get through passport control and get to the train station

1 hr into Dam sq

90 mins in town

1 hr back to the airport

2.75 hours to your flight.

If schipol is like last year its tight,

Even if the security queues are managable, the queues for passport control were savage last year and you CANT use the machines with kids.

Id consider it, if I got through passport control quickly but it might be a risk,

• Registered Users Posts: 34,558 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah I'd say ultimately there's no point in risking a much bigger trip to the country they're going on to after the connection for a few hours in Amsterdam.

Amsterdam is definitely worth a trip though, beautiful city. Just be warned that in summer there are bloody mosquitos everywhere! last time I was over there I was eaten alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭granturismo

As previous posters pointed out, 7 hours is a bit tight. If this coincides with the first week of Dutch school holidays, thats another very busy time in Schipol. Any search engine will give you their school holidays, schools in North & South can differ by a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭the goon

Thanks all for the advice. Think will stay put and to be fair Schipol isn't the worst airport to have 7 hours in!

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭geecee

I have has 5.5 hour stopover in Schipol at least 3 times and on each occasion went to the city, granted this was pre-covid

Assuming that your checked in luggage is checked through all the way you will have plenty of time for a 2 hour visit to Dam square and the surrounds. There are lockers inside the terminal that you can rent for 1-2 euro and store any of your carry-on bags, that way you only need take passports and boarding cards when going to the CC and will expedite security clearance on the way back

Advertisement