Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harley Rider in cycle lane.

Options
  • 04-06-2023 7:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

Driving into Baldoyle recently near Beshoff motors. Stopped in traffic and in my mirror I see a headlight in the cycle lane. The bike was possibly a Street Glide with metallic bronze paint. When I’m on my bike I never use the cycle lane, it’s a major no no for me. Any thoughts from the collective?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

While illegal my own feeling is , like most MC laws, it really depends on the situation. Seen some twat skimming by cyclists in the cycle lane at the back of UCD. Deserved to get a slap. The lad near Donnybrook on a Honda 125 who was dipping in and out, going the same speed as most cyclists and being observant, never entering if there was any risk of obstruction, no issue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭apogee87

I just joined and this is first post i see. I read just this morn that pretty soon can upload footage to gardai and they can hand out fines/points on basis of same. Personally i think a bit OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Wouldn't do it myself. You're leaving yourself open to loads of punctures from debris at the side of the road. Also if youre involved in an accident then the law won't favour you at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭newmember2

While illegal...

Is it? Can you link where it says this on the statute book?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Cycle lanes with a solid white line are referred to as Mandatory Cycle Lanes. The mandatory bit means that it is mandatory for anyone other than cyclists to keep out (daft nomenclature but it is the law).

There is also the possibility of "dangerous or inconsiderate overtaking of cyclists": €130 & 3 points

I'm about to get my lunch now so you can research the actual statutes on these but they are there!

• Advertisement

Seth is right, on a broken white line it would be overtaking on the left (or similar, not sure on the wording) and I imagine it's situation dependent as to the legality but for the most part, so long as you aren't doing it in a dangerous fashion (doing it with moving traffic in the actual lane or with cyclists in the lane), I doubt much would come of it.

meh...there are plenty of multi-lane places around Dublin city where motorists, to be in the correct driving lane, need to drive on along cycle lanes.

If they have broken lines, that is fine, if they don't, it is illegal to drive in them (they are more like reminders for car drivers). This has of course made me realise that the places you are on about, you shouldn't ride on, on a motorbike because, they are effectively single traffic lanes and you should just overtake as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Just to point out the motorcycle was “inside” the lack plastic wands that separate the lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

i wouldn't be coming up on the left with or without a cycle lane, too dangerous. Someone pulls in in front, or a door opens to let somenoe out, or someone is a bit too far left and you can't get by.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3482494,-6.3083647,3a,60y,233.94h,79.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1seQ636TTC_haw6IP87M_XwA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Was there not a video going around of the guards or army or whoever training going along the cycle lane at the above junction along the Chapelizod road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭apogee87

A couple of weeks ago i seen a car parked straddling the bike like a wheel on either side. There was a Garda car in front of me and they ignored it complete ignored it. I couldn't believe it as i am ok but not great but i would never park in a disabled area or on a bike lane. I would be in jail if i was done each time i put a wheel into a bike lane, there are for bikes when there are bikes there, otherwise who cares i be thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

If traffic blocking and there's say empty cycle lane to the lights, then fine.

Even doing it behind cyclists but going slow and not being aggressive, fine.

As a cyclist my only issue has been motorbikes blocking the lane going really slow.

Yes, my philosophy is if there's space to get to the top of the queue at a set of lights than I'm taking it, on the inside or outside whichever is appropriate, always mindful of the fact that the outside usually has more road debris so greater chance of a puncture, although the inside may be choked up with cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Do you avoid bus lanes? Motorcycle's using either is illegal, but nearly every biker uses bus lanes.

The law still places responsibility on the person changing lanes or opening the door to ensure its safe. Doing something illegal doesn't remove the other road users responsibility, you cant run down a drunk pedestrian on a motorway, if it comes to a claim it would slightly reduce your compensation not reduce it to zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Yes I do use bus lanes and I was hit while being in one 2 weeks ago. However the Garda investigating it took my side and said he wouldn't be prosecuting me for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

A few years ago some lad on a cruiser type bike was using the cycle lane along the canal inbound one wet morning rush hour, it was probably the busiest cycle lane in the city at the time.

At the Parnell Road/Emmet Bridge junction the lights were red and the gobshite came to an uncontrolled skidding halt behind me, probably didn't factor in the wet cycle lane paint, with the bunch of gathered cyclists wondering WTF was happening.

Another motorcyclist on the outside had a few words with him, not sure what was said, but it wasn't an exchange of pleasantries anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Whatever about using bus lanes (and yes, I do, quite cheerfully) cycle lanes are a big no no for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

Never did it in the past but in and around south Dublin the greens have gone absolutely crazy narrowing roads and making cycle lanes bigger so it's next to impossible to filter safely in rush hour so i find myself riding in the cycle lane at times. I understand they want to force me off the motorbike onto the push bike but im not interested in cycling so won't be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Nobody's trying to force you off your motorcycle onto a push bike.

However you will eventually be forced out of the cycle lane so you might as well stop using it voluntarily.

• Advertisement

1. It's not the greens widening cycle lanes or narrowing roads. Some people are obsessed with giving them credit for stuff that they didn't do.

2. If you can't filter safely then don't! Using a cycle lane is not a way to filter safely.

3. Nobody gives a toss whether or not you use your motorbike and get certainly aren't trying to force you away from it. Thats an utterly stupid view of things.

The greens are hell bent on forcing people onto bicycles and public transport. If you can't see that then you in fact have an utterly stupid view of things,

The greens dont have a majority on either DCC or SDCC so cannot force anything as per your assertion. Eamon Ryan as Minister for Transport hasn't forced anyone to do anything in terms of not driving. You're imagining that they hold some kind of control over then public to get them out of cars, etc.

All they're doing is making sustainable alternatives to driving a more attractive option, no matter what delusions you have in your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You're not really.

Better to stop before you get a fine or even worse end up in an accident.

Advertisement