Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-spreading mound of soil and turf- wasp nest

Options
  • 03-06-2023 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

A couple of questions. A couple of months ago, I built a patio in the rear garden. The sod and soil that I removed (~ three tonnes) has been left heaped in part of the garden since.

I'm in the process of spreading it and making flower beds but have come across a wasp nest in the mound of soil. It's the size of an orange. I was lucky not to strike it with the shovel.

How long do wasps typically inhabit a nest, if I were to just cease work and leave them be?

My second question is, the sod I removed was in small squares. If I just lay the squares, upside down, will they break down into manageable soil over time? Or do I need to do it manually?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Wasps - nest last a year so it will be gone by winter. If you want to get rid of them pile a few boxes of grass clippings over the nest.

Breaking down sods takes about 6 months if you stack them about meter high (max) and cover with a tarpaulin, water occasionally.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jorge Jorgesson

Thanks for that. The wasp nest has disappeared for some reason. It either fell away after the soil being disturbed and abandoned, or predated by birds.

I ended up breaking up each sod with a shovel and redistribute it around the garden. I'll keep raking it throughout summer and seed it later in the year.

Advertisement