Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMCTS took 1200 euros from my bank account

Options
  • 01-06-2023 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭

Hi, not sure where this is supposed to go however a few weeks ago I noticed there was around 1200 euros taken from my BOI current account from a 'HMCTS' it seems to be the UK Courts service.

There was no email nor correspondence sent to me. The bank could provide absolutely no info other than what I could see on the transaction (Just the name HMCTS in Uk)

It was multiple transactions around 270 euros, 450 euros, etc over the course of around 2 days

How can I follow up properly on this should I contact HMCTS? will they provide info as to why this money was taken?

For context, I have never lived in nor even been to the UK nor worked there or had any issues or dealings there. Could this be something like debt from a phone bill or a credit card with KBC? Or possibly unpaid Google Analytics advertisement fees..

Really not sure, any advice?

Post edited by Jim2007 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Sounds like you've been scammed. Best notify BOI ASAP and request a new card. BOI fraud prevention usually on the ball on that kind of stuff, so if it's a scam you should get the funds back.

Personally I'd notice if 1200 went out from my bank account in two days but that's just me, lol.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The very first question to answer is did you approve these payments or not? Your comment: "The bank could provide absolutely no info other than what I could see on the transaction", is a bit confusing, surely in your conversation with the bank you would have challenged the payments and they'd have explained their procedures for challenging unauthorised payments????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I opened up my BOI app. Saw that I was down 1200 euros, shocked, seen the multiple transactions on my statement. Called the bank immediately to inform them I do not recognize these transactions at all and especially because they said GB on the transaction code. I have no ties with any UK companies or anything like that

One of the transactions said Equita LTD which may be a debt collection agency?

Again the bank were very unhelpful, and basically said something along the lines of 'Oh hang on I'll have a look here ah yes I can see Equita LTD, so do you recognize them or not' and I said no. They said nothing else other than advised me to change my card. No assistance or information on what to do next in terms of even finding out if the payments were legit orn not.

Just checked google Equita have alot of awful reviews people saying similar things.

It does not matter who they are or what they do. All that matters is that you did not authorize them. Contact the bank, tell them you have no idea who these people are, you never authorized the transactions and they must be reversed. No doubt they will want to investing etc… so tell them they must arrange a temporary credit to cover the loss until they settle the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Do you have any reason to believe you have debts that Equita would be entitled to try recover?

Equita enforcement agency is registered in England and Wales. Are they even legally allowed to operate in Ireland?

Bank of Ireland took over KBC's business when KBC exited the Irish market so I can't see what a English/Welsh company would have to do with KBC or BOI.

Similiarly Irish phone companies are separate companies to their UK counterparts so I can't see how a UK company would be entitled to take money from your account without your authorisation.

How were the payments taken? If credit or debit card then request your bank to process a chargeback for the transactions. There will probably be some paperwork involved.

If they were card transactions could someone else have given your card details to Equita or HMCTS ?

If they weren't by card and there's no good reason for them report it as fraud to your bank and request the money is refunded to your account.

https://www.bankofireland.com/help-centre/faq/can-get-purchase-refunded-credit-card-debit-card/

Yes I would have some reason to believe there may be some debt collection agency somewhere in the world trying to recover money yes, but not in UK. I would have a few things in mind, possibly some chargeback from Stripe payment processor, Google Adwords outstanding payments or a phone bill or KBC credit card

They were taken from my bank account directly, no card involved

You either challenge it with the bank as an unauthorised payment or you accept it. There is nothing else we can do for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

What's the transaction description - is it DD (unlikely) or POS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Debt collection agencies will rarely get "good" reviews as their primary aim is to get money from people who don't want to pay their debts.

Hmcts is UK courts and very much council type payments. It includes northern Ireland, so could be speeding ticket, parking ticket or similar.

Why not contact Equita and ask them?

• Advertisement

This thread has run its course. For whatever reason the OP has decided not to follow the normal course people take in situations where they find an unauthorised transaction has been applied to their account - dispute the transaction with their bank and prefers to do their own investigation. Consequently this leads me to believe we are not getting the full story.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement