Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Restaurant with closeby charging Belfast

Options
  • 01-06-2023 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

On the way to Belfast port this evening. I know a few charging options but is there anywhere that you could grab a dinner and charge from Banbridge up? Heading to cairnryn so want to top up the car before heading over. My options are the esb go charger at Banbridge, gridserve at IKEA, or there's two chargers on shore road. Lidl and an emo service station that doesn't look like it has much to it. The Apple green on way in to Belfast still doesn't have a charger? Anything around sprucefield worth checking?

Driving from north Dublin.

Cheers,

Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Probably not exactly what you're looking for but there's a Maxol hub in Kinnegar near the airport which has a big Centra or Eurospar attached.

It's a decent hub, card payment only and no app or charging card needed. Although I've heard it's a lot busier now than when it opened its still probably one of the more reliable options

The shop beside it has hot food and I think they might do pizzas. Or just top up the car then head out to grab food wherever you want

In general I think the NI network has gotten a lot quieter since they started demanding actual money for using it, so probably much less chance of a charger being freeloaded

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭micks_address

yeah i dont mind hanging about but i usually get a whinge from my wife.. its great when we can work in eating while charging.. as its not 'lost' holiday time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

what about Sprucefield shopping centre at Lisburn just south of Belfast. Theres a costa and marks + spencer there? It 2x charging spots (for a carpark of 1200 cars, and another retail park across the road)

Although, could you not use a supercharger on the way up? That seems to be the agreed boards.ie solution for long(er) drives/ road trips in EVs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭eagerv

Tried the BP pulse at Lisburn, couldn't get it started, emo on shore road was in use. Boarding with 150 miles range left and only have to go 40 off the boat in Scotland so will top up there

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Was on the ferry to the UK recently and they had car chargers onboard. It was either Irish Ferry's or Stenaline

Have you checked your ferry?

Yeah Stena line.. no chargers on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Drive to charger, order food, get it delivered or collect your food then drive to charger, or pack a picnic, some one here had to move a family having a picnic at a charger once I believe and a thoughtful petrol station owner had a picnic table set up/blocking a charger.

Convenience hahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dsandson

Enjoy your crossing. There's a handy BP Pulse at Monkton Lodge, near Troon. It's a pair of 150kW chargers if needed. I've never had a problem with BP Pulse but I have a Hyundai charge card, and starting by RFID seems to be reliable.

• Advertisement

Heading east toward newton Stewart which has a few chargers, then onto Manchester via gretna green.. have the charge place Scotland card so will see how we go.. might try the Tesla chargers at Manchester for the craic

• Registered Users Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Is that the big VW charger with the battery built in? Shame it didn't work, would like to have seen how it did

I suspected you'd arrive with plenty of range, that big 77kWh battery can go a long way, generally further than the humans in the car are willing to go before a break

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement