Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelic football question.

Options
  • 31-05-2023 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭

Hi

silly question time here in regard to hand passing and Gaelic football

1. I believe a player can hand pass/fist pass a ball over the bar to get a point. Is this correct?

2. I think if a player tries to hand pass/fist pass a goal that it’s not allowed?

3. I think a player can “palm” (double palm) a ball in to the net for a goal but only if it comes from a pass or ball in the air and they palm it in, is this correct ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Correct on all three. The hand pass has to be underhanded too if its an open handed pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭obi604

Thank you, the underhanded comment, underhanded as opposed to what?

Post edited by obi604 on

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Rather than doing it volleyball style and throwing it up and hitting it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Can a goalkeeper in gaelic football touch the ball on the grounds, in the process of making a save ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭crusd

Exceptions (i) The goalkeeper may play the ball on the ground with his hand(s) inside his own small rectangle. (ii) Any player who falls or is knocked to the ground while in possession of the ball may fist or palm the ball away on the ground, and may score by so doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭verizon

Didn't know the (ii) part. I feel if I did that a ref would blow for a free out or give a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭flasher0030

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭crusd

That one had me a bit confused also when I read the rules just there thats why I included it. The reference to knocked to the ground while in possession of the ball might be the key. Eg. as long as you maintain control of the ball. Anyone who has done any ref courses care to comment? It does also suggest that if you fall to the ground close to the goal you can handpass it into the goal. If feel there would be uproar if it were to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭MacDanger

That rule is in relation to playing the ball on the ground (rather than handpassing as you're referring to) so my understanding of it is that you're in possession of the ball, fall to the ground, lose possession after falling and in that instance, you are allowed to punch/palm the ball away while the ball is on the ground - I've never seen a ref not blow for it on the rare occasions when players do this though.

I was aware of the rule previously but never really noticed the bit about scoring - if my interpretation above is correct, you would be allowed to palm it into the goal although like you say, there'd be uproar!!

I'm not a ref or anything though so would be interested in hearing from someone who is.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭verizon

Was this rule modified/introduced in 2010 after a certain Leinster final. The more I think about it the more questions it raises. I was even initially just thinking it meant in the small square only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It must mean goals by “and may score by doing so”, because you can’t really fist a ball off the ground over the crossbar.

A strange one. Never seen any goal scored like that.

This raises an interesting point. We often see in matches where 2 or 3 players swarm around a player, and he is knocked to the ground. The ball will often fall on the ground - often underneath the player. I gather from that rule that the player that is being surrounded can play the ball on the ground e.g. punch it out of the little ruck (if he can find a gap), and not have to pick it up.

In real terms, refs will always pull for a foul in that position for playing the ball on the ground. It is something that should be brought to their attention.

Or maybe I am interpreting it incorrectly.

After about 10 mins in the Mayo match today, one of the Mayo players had possession and was trying to get around couple of Cork lads. He was tackled and fell on the ground. Ball spilled away from him and he punched it along the ground. Ref gave a free against him, for touching it on the ground. The commentators had no idea of the rule either, and commented that he would have been better off not doing it at all, and that it was a correct decision. I think it was Michael Meehan that said it. It seems that it is a rule that has completely gone under the radar, and that there is no knowledge of it. I'm surprised the issue hasn't arisen previously.

Yeah, they showed that on the highlights, Jack Coyne I think

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭C4000

I think this rule is for scenarios where a player falls to the ground, but still has the ball in his hands, with the ball having touched the ground. The rule is to clarify that he is allowed to handpass the ball away in that situation, including to handpass a point, if that is possible.

I don't think it allows for a player to palm or fist a loose ball on the ground, if they have spilled it while falling.

That would make sense TBF although it's worded poorly if that is the case.

There's a similar rule in Hurling which is worded in a much clearer way:

Rule 1.6 The ball may not be touched on the ground with the hand(s), except when a player is knocked down or falls and the ball in his hand touches the ground

whereas the rule in football is:

Rule 1.2 When the ball is on the ground, it may be played by any part of the body except the hand(s). It may be lifted off the ground with the feet.

Exceptions:

(ii) Any player who falls or is knocked to the ground while in possession of the ball may fist or palm the ball away on the ground, and may score by so doing

I don't know. If that was the case, there would be no need for this extra provision in the rule book. It would just fall into the general hand passing rule, and the rule that you can score a point from a hand pass. i.e. this particular provision doesn't add anything extra.

The more I read the following, the more obvious it becomes that the person can play the ball on the ground. Unless they are trying to say that it is the player who is "on the ground" and not referring to the ball "on the ground". If that is the case, they made a right balls of it.

Exceptions:

(ii) Any player who falls or is knocked to the ground while in possession of the ball may fist or palm the ball away on the ground, and may score by so doing

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭C4000

You could be right.....it's not worded very clearly. There's nothing in the referees guidebook to shed further light on it....

Advertisement