Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing Civil Marriage records

Options
  • 30-05-2023 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Wondering if anyone can help me out. My 2x Great Grandparents were married in Lackagh, Galway in 1868. I found the church record but I can't seem to find the corresponding civil record. I thought it might just be a down to an error so I looked up other couples that got married around the same time and there doesn't seem to be any records for them either.

Any idea why the records might be missing and how one could find them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Elwyn

Statutory registration was introduced for RC marriages in 1864. (It had existed for non RC marriages since April 1845). In my experience, in those early years, a lot of RC marriages were not always reported to the local civil registrar. It seems to vary from parish to parish and was perhaps down to each priest’s approach to the issue. (In some places it continued for many years. There are plenty of missing RC marriages in Belfast in the early 1900s).

It might be that priests resented the involvement of the state in an ecclesiastical matter, and so “overlooked” copying the records to the Registrar. In others it may just be that they had other more pressing business to attend to and often didn’t get around to it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Elwyn's not wrong, but don't discount terrible transcription errors. Search for the marriage in all the available indexes.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Dravin

I thought of that. I looked up records for anyone that got married in the same church during the 1800s. None of them have civil records. I asked at the local Heritage Centre but they didn't have any answers. There are baptism records but no marriages for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

I have a very similar missing civil marriage records, from Beagh / Shanaglish in South Galway.

For my 2x GG Parents marriage in 1897. Like in your case, the church record exists but no trace of the civil record (or many of the records from the same area).

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭cobham

Yes same story with my search for a marriage c 1880 in Mullingar Cathedral, found the church record but no civil record and same for others one same page. A pity as the civil record would have been more useful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement