Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best route building app / website?

Options
  • 30-05-2023 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭

For my sins, I've recently been put in charge of a weekly group ride for my club. It is a Strava event so I've been using the Strava route builder.

I'm usually starting with a gpx file of some sort (from my own collection in my Garmin Connect or just have the gpx file, or taken from someone else's Strava) but I don't find Strava great for this - you can't create waypoints when editing it seems and I almost always need to edit the start / end points or take a shortcut or something like this. Maybe I'm just not used to it yet but so far I'm finding Strava often reroutes more than I want when making these sorts of tiny changes.

Is there anything easier to use or better that I should be using? Ideally free or a small cost, I already pay Strava premium so that is enough

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭G1032

Try plotaroute.com

https://www.plotaroute.com/

I find it excellent. If you do want to subscribe to premium it's only about 20 euro a year but you'll most likely get by on the free version

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭hesker

I use mapmyride on a laptop and export as a gpx. I think they support some other formats also. I import to Komoot for navigation.

What I really like about mapmyride is that you decide with your mouse clicks exactly where the route goes. You aren’t dependant on the software to figure out a route between any two points.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Can routes be exported to a headunit? Strava routes don't allow turn by turn on my Wahoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭G1032

They can. Not wirelessly to Wahoo but can be added manually. Think Garmin can be done wirelessly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Ride with GPS my default mapping app. Download the gpx and then upload to strava if ridewithgps is an issue for some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I use mapmyride but have sometimes had issues with my Garmin sometimes losing the route (keeps telling me to make u turns). My club publish routes to import onto my head unit via Strava and I've never had any issue with those. I've also found Garmin features recently that I've never seen before - like climb countdown and profile, but then I've only recently started using the nav features as I'm in a new area

• Registered Users Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Strava mapping always a bit off for climbpro with my 530, whereas created and synced from rwgps always spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

To be clear - I can use any tool I want, I just need to be able to upload the gpx file into Strava as that is what my club uses to plan rides. Editing directly in Strava isn't ideal.

Thanks for all the suggestions, going to try these out one by one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I quiet like the Garmin connect route planner

• Registered Users Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thanks, can you easily edit a route from an existing gpx file on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Yeah, it’s not 100% straight forward all the time but yeah

https://support.garmin.com/en-IE/?faq=sJR8z5jHmW5HJaAzSZcJb5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭JMcL

https://cycle.travel/ is great for plotting routes if you want to go from A to B via mainly quiet routes (if possible). It'll do round trips as well - you just give it a distance and it'll make suggestions. Results can be downloaded (with turn by turn if memory serves) and uploaded whereever

Advertisement