Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE on Sonos via Tunein

• 30-05-2023 11:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

I play all my radio stations on my Sonos speaker, via Tunein on Alexa.

So, I say, Alexa play RTE radio 1 on Sonos and it plays on Sonos via Tunein.

Now this has been working for a long time and continues to do so with all other stations (BBC 4 & 5, Newstalk, FIP etc) but it has stopped working for RTE. Now, I can play RTE via airplay to Sonos, but not via Tunein. I have reinstalled all the apps but no joy. All other stations play - just not RTE.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭gipi

RTE disappears from TuneIn on a regular basis - there has been discussion on it here in the past (and I've experienced it myself).

The suggestion is that it's an RTE issue, nothing amiss with your set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭BobMc

discovered same on sunday, wouldnt play RTE stations , thought it was me but never knew its a common problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The only workaround I found to play RTE on the Sonos was to add RadioPlayer as a service and go through that.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Thanks for that - it worked for a few days but now it says RTE is not available. It is an absolute pain in the tit.

Life was simple when the battery wireless was on the window ledge in the kitchen. You tuned into RTE 1 or 2FM and when it was sunny you could get BBC4 on long wave. Now BBC or RTE broadcast to TuneIn or RadioPlayer who broadcast it over the internet which comes to a router in my garage, then a booster in my hall, then my Alexa Echo and finally onto my Sonos speaker. When something goes askew, as it now is, I don't even know where to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

That’s odd. I just tried it there. I mostly listen to Newstalk on TuneIn through the Sonos. RTE worked on the RadioPlayer for me, Marty Morrissey talking to a priest.

Could it be a signal issue? Maybe try again in a few minutes or reboot the system?

There’s definitely a lot to be said for the old sturdy aerial alright.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Yeah, Newstalk always works for me too. And missing Marty M' is no great hardship. Maybe the signal wasn't physical - maybe it was metaphorical 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I changed my Sonos speaker to an Era model recently. That speaker line has a slightly different setup, no Google commands etc, so I initially blamed the "new speaker" for the RTE issues. I found I could generally reconnect by playing something else for a while, but it seems obvious now that this is an RTE-fault.

I can't use Radioplayer as easily, as it preloads the local stations where I am (not in Ireland). However, overall, I thought RTE stations have been behaving better over the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭JDxtra

There are standard protocols for radio streaming. It’s not in the interest of Sonos / TuneIn / Google to do anything that would block or break stations, especially a national broadcaster.

So, without knowing specifics I would say most likely some RTE change or unusual streaming behaviour is causing these outages.

Also seems to be a lack of monitoring and poor communication with technical partners. When something does go wrong, it’s listeners who complain - and it can take some days to get resolved.

Advertisement