Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad spill last week

Options
  • 30-05-2023 8:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

Hey lads and ladies, had a bad spill last week and hit a car at 50kph. Don't know how I survived with just soft tissue damage but hey ho I'm still here !

I was riding my wife's bike so I was just covered for 3rd party only. Thankfully I have a helmet cam which should show the other party was at fault. They just swung across me to take a turn. Bike is written off and my gear all needs to be replaced.

My question is does any have any advice on valuing the bike ? It was bought in at the start of the pandemic, was a low mileage NI import and basically brand new even though it was a 2016. The issue is they have gone up in value A LOT ! and to replace it for like it would be about 15k even though the bike is insured for 12.

Would the other party's insurance be made aware of what the insurance value is or do they just look at the market rate ?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

They will look at market rate, might not get the full 15k but it will be close to that. Do you research and have about 5-10 ads saved of the same bike to send on to them to show them the value of replacing like for like.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 XT1200

Check on line as to what similar motorcycles are making. Use Done Deal and Mobile.de.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭muddle84

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭geotrig

Glad to hear no lasting damage to yourself and that your ok dude , Bummer about the bike ! have had too many people pull out in front of me the last two weeks on the bike and even in the car !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Glad your ok. Unfortunately, your valuation and the assesor may differ. Check Donedeal, Adverts, Autotrader UK.

Mobile.de is a German car and bike seller marketplace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 XT1200

It a German motorcycle for sale site offering all makes of motorcycles from Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭REPTILEDAN88

https://www.theparking-motorcycle.eu/

Here might be a better option to look up as it put together prices from all not just here or 1 or 2 other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Any ideas on prices for shipping from Germany ? Last time I drove home from Munich but don't fancy doing that again in a hurry and the missus isn't experienced driving on the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

€435

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

I got a bike picked up in Spain by Slampi for 300 if thats any use to you. I'd also suggest a visit to your GP just to cover yourself. I'm not suggesting a injury claim, but if they start messing you around on the value of the bike, then start hinting that things are starting to hurt😂

Ooh I don't have to imagine. My whole right side took a serious bang and it hurts.

Someone's getting a new Road King 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Hhaha, no. I have tried to talk her into buying one as a replacement for R9T but they're a little heavy. The RK will be for me when I get some "get well soon money".

The R9T is being collected today by a salvage agent and we're getting a decent pay out for its pre-accident value. Not happy about how we're parting with it as she had no intention of selling it but it is what it is.

bummer, but it's the best outcome for something so unforseen really - that and being intact.

Tbh, met a few lades riding the big Twins over the last few months and if anything, they'd be easier to ride, not worse. The weight is all within 200mm of the ground, so the CoG makes them easy once you know how. Imposing, certainly, but familiarity would sort that.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Totally agree regarding the COG for the big twins. Can't get that through to the missus though.

I've decided to take a back seat on any decisions she's making for her next bike because there's a lot of emotions involved.

We're heading down to AMI at the weekend to see something she has her eye on but I told her keep an open mind when she walks into the shop and let her heart guide her first. She genuinely feels like she lost a friend with the R9T.

Tell me something I don't know. My SO is the same. I didn't even tell her the her current bike is 45kgs more than her last one, but she thinks the new one is easier to handle/ride; NC750S vs F800GS...........

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement