Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OPENEIR EIR will not offer fibre until 2026 for those affected by Direct Buries lead (DBL)

Options
  • 29-05-2023 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Many homes like mine built in the 80s and 90s were built by laying the copper lines in the public highway by means of Direct Buries lead.

A quick check on the eir coverage system indicates that I have fibre and copper service, but when the technician comes out he says no service can be installed as it would require ducting.as it is in the public highway, you can't do it yourself.

EIR is counting homes like mine as available fibre optic, so the 1M they claim to have FTTH service should easily subtract 200,000 taking into account this reality.

after contacting openeir , they have confirmed the following:

""The Network team has advised that when the original telephone service was provided to your property the last piece of network from the roadside to the house was completed by the installation of a cable buried directly in the ground. This differs from more recent connections where a small duct was installed from the roadside to the house and the cable was installed in this duct. In the latter case the duct can be re-used for the provision of a fibre cable.Accessing premises previously connected by direct buried leads requires either (i) a new duct from the house to the roadside or (ii) a pole and an aerial drop to the house. Local circumstances and local authorities regulations need to be considered when deciding the appropriate approach.The team is working to implement a process to enable the completion of fibre service where properties were served with direct buried leads but this is not envisaged until the latter end of the IFN programme rollout in 2026.Kind regards open eir team.""

""Open eir have confirmed that they are not willing to carryout civil works on new access duct to this premises until a Direct Buries lead (DBL) solution is available in the future due to cost. So open eir will not supply either VDSL or fibre services until then.""

this problem is especially common in cities like dublin leaving hundreds of homes within 5 to 20 metres of the nearest fibre fenced connection point. in some cases virgin media over HFC provides service, but this is not the case for me or many people.

For its part, NBI indicates no intention to include me in the plans as EIR indicates plans to deploy service...but in 2027....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭RobiePAX

This sucks yeah. On their maps and marketing posts they make it sound like they can connect so many homes. But all they are actually saying is that the estate has the infrastructure now and that you could be connected in theory. But as in your example that theory is not a guarantee.

It's a low chance but check if SIRO are in your area. They are alternative to OpenEir, Virgin and NBI.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 nidek

what you say is true, I consider it to be misleading advertising, as they count houses as available when they are not, they also confuse the end consumer, as you go to the website of any retailer such as vodafone and it tells you that you have coverage...when it is not true.

Openeier claims to have reached 1million homes, I doubt it is true, in my neighbourhood there are more than 500 homes with the same problem as me, and in many areas of dublin it is the same.

I have contacted Siro, they tell me that I have no service and that they have no plans to deploy in my area due to According to openeir there is already service available and duplicate networks has no sense.

I am beginning to think that openeir is doing this as a monopoly tactic, to ensure that the future continues to dominate the infrastructure market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭clohamon

Very useful OP @nidek

A quick check on the eir coverage system indicates that I have fibre and copper service, but when the technician comes out he says no service can be installed as it would require ducting.as it is in the public highway, you can't do it yourself.

Anyone that sees this below....

"Great News! This premises can avail of a full fibre connection with speeds up to 2Gbps"

...should also check the Upgrade checker regardless. FTTP is seemingly available and not available on the same website.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

I get where you're coming from.

Hell in my area, there are individual houses that can't get it, when houses either side can. I can only assume it's because of some other reason (like they refused to have some of the equipment (external ONT?) installed on their house, or their neighbour(s) did.

It's a spotty rollout but the reason NBI or others won't include you is because they're all planning on a 2026 close out and if you get above 30Mbps - you'll never make the NBI plan IIRC. So eir do have you in their plan, it's just lower priority for whatever reason. I guess the type of work needed is so different to the rest of the rollout that while they have dates for when to start they don't have plan for engaging with the council etc. for all the needed work. I'd imagine they'll change the duct system to the one they have elsewhere so it's just a bigger task.

I know it seems like it will take forever, but it should fly by time wise if not download wise.

You can always try ComReg - and complain about open eir claiming the service level is higher than it is. If anyone has power over them, it's ComReg.

Hello ,

Thanks for the answer.

in my case , i don't have any option to any kind of broadband by cable. Comreg only said ...they don't have the power to force the installation to EIR, and EIR said that they only will offer me a wireless fixed phone as a obligation under USO until 2027....being in a residential area 5km from the centre of dublin...

and NBi said ...because you house is in the eir plans, we are not able to provide any service or deployment...

the funny thing is that my neighbours across the street, 15 metres away, do have fibre and VDSL...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

That really sucks, I'd have thought you have at least up to 100Mbps or 30Mbps. I know, not amazing in this day and age.

I suppose you've considered StarLink or another LOS Satellite option for your area as well as 5G Modem?

Yeah, I'm looking at a 5G modem or something ...but it's clearly not the same as cable....the worst thing is that I have asked openeir for the option of paying for the work myself or contracting a civil engineer to do it at my full cost and they refuse to give authorisation to do the ducting...

my house was built in the 80's and had a copper telephone line, the problem is that over the years, gas, electricity and other installations.... these cables are cut in the street works.... and eir refuses to repair them....

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭RobiePAX

Try 5G MBB for now. Your options are Eir, Vodafone and Three. Choose whichever one has a better coverage in your area. You can use ComReg coverage map to check that.

I know that Eir gives 1 week cooling off period to cancel it if you figure its not worth the money. Not sure about the other two.

Advertisement