Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for mobile phone hotspot

Options
  • 29-05-2023 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,673 ✭✭✭

I sometimes remote work using my xiaomi mobile phone for tethering as a hotspot. When I am on Skype call the connection drops and the odd time it drops a signal when just working. Do you think the phone which is a very basic smartphone could be the issue and an upgrade would help. I get 4g connection in the area. I just need something reliable that doesn't drop when on work remote calls.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭DopeTech

You need to find the source of the issue. Do you ever have internet dropouts on the phone itself? What speeds are you getting? When it drops does it recover itself or does it fully disconnect/turn off the hotspot? If you have a good enough signal on your phone then there should not be dropouts like that. The only thing that can cause dropouts is incoming/outgoing calls as at least up the very recently all networks used revert back to 3G for calls. Now with VoLTE it shouldn’t happen.

in summary, it’s most likely not the phone that is the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,673 ✭✭✭billyhead

I very rarely have internet drop outs on the phone. It might be work done in the area when that happens. When it drops a zoom call for example it recovers itself. The signal can't be found but then it comes back usually by itself.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Agreed, I'd say it's the signal. I've used GoMo and 48 with a Xiaomi phone throughout the pandemic with no issues, yet when I've travelled elsewhere the data signal would drop. You might want to check what your phone says when the connection drops.

Cheers. It's GoMo I'm with. It just says no connection found or similar when i lose a signal.

Just an update on this the message when it loses connection is Redmi. No Internet connection secured and I would have to click on disconnect and then reconnect to re-establish a connection.

• Advertisement

Do you have a 2nd device you could connect to the hotspot to see if when the laptop says no internet connection that the other says it too? If the other device was to stay connected then it would indicate a possible driver issue on your laptop. No harm in downloading the latest wlan drivers to make sure that’s not causing the issue.

Cheers. The phone remains connected with 4g when the laptop disconnects. Might be as you said the drivers however it's a new laptop.

Download the drivers from the manufacturers website and you’ll soon find out so.

Advertisement