Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on buying a road bike

Options
  • 29-05-2023 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,

I am looking for advice buying a second hand road bike. I'm looking for a bike which will be used for long distance trips around 80-120kms.

I want to buy a second hand bike on donedeal or adverts and looking for advice on models, what to check out when inspecting a bike etc.

This is a bike which seems to be priced well and would suit my needs I think.

Is this good value, anything to look out for if I decide to view it?

Thanks in advance

Post edited by SullieN on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

It's a 52cm, so it's for someone around 5' 6/7"

The way it's setup, it look like the person was too tall for it.

Looks fairly clean.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,481 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

probably a fine bike, but the first thing to check - and most important thing - is sizing. make sure it's the right size for you.

secondly, will you be using it in all weathers? check how easy it is to fit mudguards if so. also worth spending a tenner on a chain wear checking tool; if the chain is badly worn, it may have worn the cassette and even the chainrings, and you could be looking at north of €100 to replace work drivetrain components if so.

spin the wheels to check for buckling, and listen for any noises a spinning wheel should not make. check the frame for any lifting of paint which might be caused by crash damage (i.e. by the metal underneath flexing too much or changing shape).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Are there any bike shops near you that have second hand ones so at least you may have some comeback .A bike can look OK at first but maintenance issues and parts to be replaced within a short enough time can add up . If you are doing long enough spins the issues could come about quick enough .

• Registered Users Posts: 23 SullieN

Yea I checked the sizing I'm within that size. Thanks.

• Advertisement

I imagine the bike has been sitting up and needs servicing. I am happy to service it and get replacement parts if needed just don't have much knowledge on how much replacement parts are and which parts are particularly expensive. So are more important to check when inspecting it.

Advertisement