Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sticky Willie. Cleavers . everywhere

Options
  • 27-05-2023 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

I have never seen it before..I have never had it in my garden. This year it's everywhere. I see it all along roads and verges. Lots of gardens..even the local botanical garden has it.

Did it just fall from the sky ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,184 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My garden isn't as bad as usual so it must have moved. The good thing about it is that it is easy to pull up. You can also make herbal tea out of it, put a big handful into a mug - just fill a mug with it - nice young stuff that hasn't been sprayed - pour on boiling water, let steep for a bit, remove silage, drink. Full of vitamins and good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Dear God, yes. I've never seen it so plentiful. It's just everywhere. I'm pulling out armfuls, and still it comes.

Just everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Gorteen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I'm with the OP on this, seems a bad year for it. A mild spring always seems to help it out as it germinates really early to get ahead of the crowd.

The trick is to find the time to get rid of it before it goes to seed, obviously failed at this in the past.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭standardg60

Agree it's everywhere, though if there's one weed that doesn't need a head start this is it! Another hark back to last years good Summer, and a slightly frightening prospect of what next year might be like if this weather continues.

Interestingly Wikipedia says it prefers damp conditions, from my own experience the exact opposite is true, the more drought the better it performs.

Imo the hairs/hooks on the stems are adept at collecting the dew that forms overnight, they must be absorbing this, given how little root they have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,184 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Remembered that we did a blitz on the stuff last year as there was just so much of it, and it has paid off this year, we have very little.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i lifted kilos of the stuff in one section of the garden last year, that section is relatively clear this year, but i've been pulling clumps out in other parts of the garden.

Advertisement