Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish GE 2024: - Middle Ireland vs Rural Ireland vs United Ireland

Options
  • 27-05-2023 10:04am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Leo has blown the starting whistle with a shout out for Middle Ireland..

Tax cuts for Middle Ireland - those that get up early in the morning. Of course, it depends on how this is structured and it has yet to be fully costed. A creation of a 30% tax band would work by giving everyone above the point when the top rate kicks in the same benefit. That would be a good way of giving to those 'who pay for everything and get nothing' - but of course they do get some things. Child allowance is untaxed for one.

Looking after Rural Ireland sounds like a good policy - if only we knew where Rural Ireland was.

It is probably everywhere in Ireland that is not Dublin where the majority of the wealth resides. Oh well, it is a good slogan, but not much else. Rural = farming - but does it? Farmers includes the par-time, dry stock farmer with 20 sucklers, the dairy guys with 300 cows, the cereal guys with 500 acres of winter barley, and the horticultural guys that are hit by the supermarkets below cost selling. Now could any Gov get all these to agree about anything but extra subsidies?

Looking for a UI - first have a Border Poll - if only.

Then we have the pursuit of a UI, but there is a problem. It is not in the gift of the Irish Gov to have a border poll and the current UK Gov will not allow one, and anyway, it is unlikely that NI would actually vote for a UI. So, the voters of NI have to be persuaded by promises of a better life in a UI. Of course, for that, a UI would require a lot of funding and there is a long queue of donors willing to dig deep (for excuses not to give).

So, the fun is starting.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Latest poll results from Irish Times.

FG down, (18%), SF down, (31%), FF up (21%), SD up. (3%)

FG really doing badly.

Their tax cuts for those that get up early in the morning has not gone well for them.

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2023/06/15/the-irish-times-poll-full-data-set/

Post edited by Sam Russell on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well it only shows the short memory of the Irish electorate that they want FF in power again...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Ooooops.

Edited.

Hate to give FF such a boost. Mind you they did go up 3%.

Independents at 17% and growing is an interesting one.

That's traditionally been either a "None of the above" or a "I like my specific local independent" option.

I'm wondering now, with everything that's happened so far this year, with regards to migrant protests, does it also include an Anti migrant element. With all of the main parties having the same stance on the matter there is no political home for that vote currently so I think it will end up with whatever independent shouts the loudest about it in their constituency.

I think we will learn a lot about whether that is the case or not at next years local elections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

There is generally no anti migrant sentiment in rural Ireland

The issue is lack of housing for everyone and poor investment in housing and infrastructure

Most of rural Ireland is middle class

Politicians are unlikely to be explicitly anti-migrant (apart from the National Party no-hoper types). Instead it'll be more of a NIMBY type message where they'll say they've no issues with migrants but also make it known that they will oppose resettling migrants absolutely anywhere in their constituency/local area.

I think the real starting gun on the next election is going to be when the Dáil resumes, after the summer break, in September. That will roughly coincide with the announcement by the new Electoral Commission of the new electoral boundaries for Dáil constituencies. After that, even though the actual election may be more than 12 months away, every utterance and every decision will be made with that election in mind. I'm not sure what legislation is lined up for next year but if it's anything thorny it might cause some serious rifts in the coalition. Nobody is going to want to be casting votes that will be used against them by constituency rivals in that upcoming election.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭dasa29

While that sounds interesting you and a lot of people are forgetting that next June will be the Local Elections / European Elections.

Quite.

But, if Leo thinks that FG will get a pasting in the locals and Euro elections, he could choose to go before them, or combine all three.

There is already talk of a constitutional referendum in the autumn, which could include one on property rights to give tenants better security, and another one to fix the number of Dail seats at the current number, or maybe fix it at 160. ( The USA Senate is only 100).

The Gov has to do something about housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

The dilapidated grants seem to be making a difference. A lot of old buildings in villages and rural areas are finally viable to buy and renovate.

So much housing stock not being used

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Latest Poll results from The Sunday Times/Behaviour and Attitudes 

FG up (24%), SF down, (34%), FF down (21%), SD down, (2%).

I wouldn't put much store on many of those polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Spilly123

FG are up 3 % to 20% in this poll, government combined is on 47%

I'm most certainly not forgetting about those. They're going to be fascinating for many reasons:

• Will SF do a better job at vetting candidates now that they are expected to win a lot of races?
    • How will Holly Cairns and Ivana Bacik do in their first elections as leader?
    • Will Wallace & Daly have the audacity to run for Europe again after spending their time there cheerleading for some of the worst regimes on the planet?
    • Will we see more candidates from the extreme right-wing fringe (NP/Irexit/Renua etc) running and will they do any better

The reason why I mention the boundary changes first is that they are happening far sooner than those elections - 3 months time vs 1 year away

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Will SF find enough candidates? They have an exceptionally low number of Councillors, a reasonable number are co-options after the 2020 GE so have never faced the public at all; and they either need to replace (Wynne) or really, really should (Ryan, Cronin, maybe more) some of the 2020 winners too.

Well they're sure to have a massive batch of fresh new councilors to choose from after next year's locals. They can use their behaviour on the councils to weed out the absolute dross then when it comes time for the Dail election.

Having a whole bunch of candidates get nowhere near elected to council seats in 2019 only for the very same candidates to get elected to the Dail, less than 12 months later, is going to be something that future PhDs in political science will be written on. I don't know if there is any precedent for it in the history of Irish politics and it may never happen again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I wouldn't have the confidence of the Government making it to after that election, and certainly it will only have a few months of council actions to look at at best.

Cronin went out *on the first count as a sitting councillor* which is exceptionally rare anyway, and then became a TD 9 months later.

Martin Browne too (not sure what count but lost his seat)

8th, and his running mate who was not a sitting councillor got in. Nowhere near as embarrassing

Cronin did absolutely zero as a councillor and that's why she lost her seat. She's even more absent locally as a TD and it's not cause of doing great works in the Dáil, but she's probably safe unless deselected. Which they really should do as they have a free go at that seat and surely have to have someone better?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,394 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Ivan Yates in SBPost predicts a GE late 2024. Housing is dominant issue

“ People in the 33-45 age cohort have discovered since the last general election in 2020 that “they’re going to have to pay market rents into their 60s and keep working”. “They honestly believe the system has f*** them over and they are angry as hell at the boomer generation, and they’re going to vote Sinn Féin. This juggernaut is coming at them, and I don’t see a strategy in Fianna Fáil or Fine Gael. And the biggest reason why it will have happened, particularly in Fine Gael – in power for 14 years – is because of the lack of availability of housing.”

• Advertisement

I think Ivan Yates pulled that prediction from his arse.

Not even an opinion poll to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I do think he's a bit of a Charlatan but in the past he's predicted stuff reasonably well. I wouldn't dismiss it but at the same time wouldn't be basing as serious decisions on it.

Like I'd be very surprised if the Greens even got 2

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

That would require a relatively appreciable further swing to SF which seems rather unlikely at this stage.

Remember, Ivan Yates is a failed bookie. Even successful bookies make wrong predictions and lose a lot on particular bets, but overall win big.

Ivan went bankrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

He's right thought as regards that demographic and their difficulties. I'd pull it back further though - to 20 to 45 yr olds. We have them at home ourselves - were renting and had to give it up to try and save. Students crippled with long commutes from rural area. They talk about the failure of recent governments and want a fresh start. And it's not just them that will turn from the present lot but also parents and relatives.

Well, there are many failures of politics in Ireland currently - mainly housing, health, and infrastructure.

Housing can be put down to the failure of successive governments to build council houses (now called social houses). This decision dates back to the 1980s. This led to the continuous rise in house prices - way above general inflation. Both aspects should have been tackled - by building more social houses and controlling private rents. The rise in house prices could be tackled by property taxes and capital gains tax on short term ownership - say less than 5 years.

Health is a demand service - and that is driven by three factors. Ageing population, increase in population, and new expensive high tech cures for conditions like cancers. Try telling someone with a rare cancer that the state cannot afford the latest cure because it is too expensive. The bill for drugs has continued to rise, despite the trend of equivalent low cost generic drugs being available. Of course having hospitals operating a 9 to 5 hour five day week does not help.

Infrastructure suffers from planning log jams caused by councillors blocking developments, nimbyism, and An Bord Pleanála. There is an attempt to solve these problems, but it takes time - and will take time no matter who is in power.

So we will see if the voters see a new Gov as a good prospect or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...i think this really is the turning point, we have a growing number of older generations. i.e. parents, grandparents, uncles and aunts etc, now starting to realise their off spring are in serious trouble, ffg are in real trouble, but unfortunately irelands response is gonna be sf, yippee!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Biggest kick in the b**** is when they emigrate and don't come back.

The realisation has set in that, electoral/voting decisions made have consequences.

Well, the financial crash of 2008 happened because the Gov lost the run of themselves, and the voters did not realise, and the opposition of the time tried to outbid the Gov in promises of better times to come.

Unfortunately, they all got it wrong, and we are still paying for it to this day. We have made a remarkable recovery from the crash, but there are many problems that do not have instant solutions or any achievable solution within one electoral cycle.

See post #27 above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

some will never come back, but some will...

...this is now a more global problem, particular in advanced economies, we re coming to the end of a political/economic era, we re starting to realise decisions at many levels throughout this era, including at the electoral level, have been catastrophic, this is resulting in established parties getting a kicking, yet, nobody actually knows what to do next, we re in an extremely difficult transitional period, and we dont have a clue where we re going...

Advertisement