Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build: Builder appliances or own appliances

Options
  • 26-05-2023 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi all,

What's the consensus on taking builder-provided appliances vs choosing your own in new builds. Pros and cons, please?

From my initial research, it seems like one concern would be that the builder isn't providing a whole lot of details on the model of appliances. Also, power saving ratings etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭mike_2009

I assume you can roll this into your mortgage or is it an extra? If you are starting out could be useful where cash is tight? Had two friends, both moved into houses in last year, one got no appliances with house (& no option!), the other got a fixed set from builder. Two different companies. The appliances seem fine, mid range and handy to have them installed and ready to go for when you move in. One less thing to worry about! They aren't going to provide Miele!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

It really depends on whether you are getting a PC sum from the builder and how much it is.

Regarding the above poster, it is of course not advisable to include it in the mortgage if you can get the PC sum knocked off the price of the property as the costs including interest of the appliances over the duration of your mortgage will be multiples of the cost of buying them yourself.

As above, you are not going to get top appliances from the builder so it would be worth buying them yourself if you have identified specific efficient models. You may also have better consumer rights if they breakdown rather than having to chase the builder, who will likely tell you to bog off if you contact them a couple of years later.

On the other hand, if there is no option of a PC sum for appliances and you get nothing if you don’t take the appliances, take them and replace down the line when they inevitably break down, which all white goods do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,967 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

In our case we didn't really have much choice, the builder wasn't going to lower the price if the appliances weren't included or not

So we went with their appliances, just kept the dryer which we'd bought for the previous rental house and sold the one the builder provided (as ours was a better model)

The likelihood is what appliances you get will be pretty basic, but they do the job and probably won't be the bottom of the barrel in terms of quality

If you're getting a discount for providing your own then by all means go ahead and get the ones you want. The one caveat is that you generally have a load of other priorities so pushing decisions down the line a few years isn't necessarily the worst idea

On the plus side, if you don't like the appliances the builder provided then you'll probably have to replace them within 5 years anyway. Nothing is built to last anymore and we're on our second washing machine, dryer and dishwasher after 6 years living here 😬

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭questions007

Thanks for the valuable inputs.

The EA has mentioned they are indesit appliances for the kitchen. Minus microwave, washer/dryer. And booklets and warranty will be provided but no further details on the model etc. So, I just had a cursory look at the website...

I'm swaying a bit towards keeping them as the energy rating seem ok and I can possibly have one thing less on my list when I move in... I find it really strange as to how cagey the EA/builders are when it comes to details.

Appliances, room sizes- nothing is mentioned. Nothing on the contract even.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭C3PO

Which gives them plenty of “wriggle room”!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,967 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Was about to say the same thing, they'll basically grab a load of whatever appliances the vendor has in stock, that could change over time

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement