Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How best to discourage clover and improve grass coverage in an established lawn?

Options
  • 26-05-2023 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

In sections of my lawn (originally sown 20 years ago), I have vast amounts of clover.

In places it seems to be 80 percent clover and only 20 percent grass.

Is there a way to discourage the clover and improve the grass?

Perhaps a lawn mowing regime? Cutting the grass tighter? More frequently?

Is there anything that's not too harsh that will check the clover and allow the grass to return? i.e. a specific feed and weed mixture or liquid?

Thanks in advance

MtM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Dicophar Selective Lawn Weedkiller worked for me

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

I have an old bottle of dicophar lying around all right.

I found it a bit harsh though and it checked the grass a bit more than I expected. Good for thistles and creeping buttercup infestation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I'd go with the above but its no good on one particularly fine leaved clover I have think its Lesser yellow trefoil which it seems to be oblivious Dicophar.

I'd also add add light scarifying to the control methods as it brings the stems up to the mower.

Lawn sand is another old remedy, the ammonium sulphate burns the leaves a bit and the nitrogen in it discourages the clover which being a legume produces its own nitrogen.

RHS have a good guide

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭standardg60

Just feed it, as above if clover is thriving the grass is struggling due to low nitrogen levels.

Advertisement