Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part of crown broken

• 25-05-2023 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭

I got a crown on a front upper tooth about 6 months ago. Yesterday the part of it that sits at the back over the existing tooth broke off (not sure if I'm describing it very well).

The crown itself still feels stable though I've been careful not to bite with it. I'm wondering is this a problem or does the broken part serve any purpose?

I can't get an appointment with my dentist for 6 weeks so am nervous the entire crown will come off

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I’m not a dentist , but was there a metal post put in your tooth? Or was the crown just cemented to the other tooth.

if you have a post then I think that would be the main part that keeps the strength intact.

if the underlying tooth is exposed then you would want to make sure it’s kept clean as possible.

is it the same dentist that did the crown that can’t see you for 6 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭masterK

The crown was just cemented

It was the same dentist, there's a chance I could get a cancellation.

The underlying tooth is now exposed a little

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭XsApollo

6 weeks is a joke alright, for a crown a dentist has fit themselves.

they ain’t cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,864 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Often this is an indicator of heavy occlusal load or parafunction causing fracture/failure of the crown.

Op, your dentist will replace it free of charge as long as failure wasn’t caused by you doing something unusual which could also cause a natural tooth to fracture, like biting on a pen or ripping open something hard. The dentist will most likely use a crown with a stronger backing material or make adjustments to opposing teeth the next time. It is straightforward to replace a fractured crown as there will be no need to drill the tooth, removal of the existing crown will only take a few minutes, new impressions will most likely be necessary, it will mean some inconvenience for you, something you can mention to your Dentist.

It happens, people break teeth which are stronger than ceramic crowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭masterK

I certainly wasn't doing anything unusual, quite the opposite. I initially had a veneer but it broke off after about 2 years. The dentist refitted it a few times but it kept coming off so he replaced with a crown 6 months ago. This was all free of charge.

I've been that paranoid about it breaking I now cut all hard fruits before eating and have stopped eating things like baguettes.

Anyway I've managed to get a cancellation for during the week so hopefully it gets sorted. It's just the tail part at the back of the crown that has broken off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement