Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rust "converters" and Lanoguard - underbody protection

Options
  • 25-05-2023 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any thoughts, or have used Lanoguard? It seems to be the "in" thing right now with regards to underbody protection. Slap it on once a year. It dries relatively clear, so you can see if problems do begin to start, and doesnt trap moisture like Waxoyl, Schutz etc..

It's just a barrier, that stops and protects from rust, but doesn't treat the rust in any way. I'd like to slap it on the underside of a 1992 Westy camper - most of the underneath is fine, but a few patchers are crustier than others so I would like to treat them with something first.....with that in mind has anyone any experience good/bad with rust "converters"; Vactan, Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80, Neutrarust 661 and the likes?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Rust convertors like bilt hammer,Vactan, Fertan and Convertox act all the same. They convert the rust to a suitable coating for primers to be applied. Just brush of the loose crusty rust and apply as per instructions. They wont work on new metal unless there is a slight coating of flash rust.

I have used them all except bilt hammer convertors. Most recently i bought a 1 litre bottle for 35 euro. Smaller bottles work out expensive. Spreadability is good and applied by brush. And stick to the safety recommendations.

Good luck with your westy. Just make sure you remove any structural rusted items instead of just applying convertors. Very rusty metal should be cut out and replaced with new metal

Advertisement