Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Uk imports, an idiots guide?

• 25-05-2023 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,187 ✭✭✭✭

Can I just check the situation on importing from the UK?

Am I right in thinking that for mainland imports, VAT and VRT will always be liable but there's still a VRT allowance?

Cars registered in the North pre-brexit can come in without either charge?

Just wondered if there's a quick summary/table/tick box to make it easier when shopping.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Don't forget Duty @ 10 %, depends on age and where the car was made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mholland14

I'm looking at buying a Peugeot 5008 from the north. It's March 2020 and has always been registered in the north. I'm getting conflicting vrt prices.

From 6k odd and some at just over 4k.

Dunno whether I'm understanding the vrt process since Brexit could anyone clarify.

Thank you

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

VRT is uneffected after brexit. It’s the vat.

Once it was originally a NI car from before 31st December 2020 you’ll pay not vat/duty.

VRT will depend on trim of car.

Ok thanks for your help Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Is there really much of a saving on importing a 5008 ? They don’t seem to particularly cheap in N.I.

• Advertisement

If the vrt is 4k which I expect getting it confirmed today.

I'll have a 2020 GT line premium for about 32k all in

31k miles on the clock best I can get in Ireland is 36k with minimum 100k km on clock

There is decent saving and I live on the border. No real traveling to get it

Advertisement