Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transporting large goods from UK

Options
  • 24-05-2023 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi folks, apologies if this has been covered by I couldn't find exact match. I'm thinking of buying bi-folding doors in UK as I couldn't find those type of doors anywhere here and simply said the variety is better in the UK. However I'm now looking for a way of transporting those that wouldn't cost me a fortune. Have anyone brought something from the UK with third party company?

The door manufacturer said Hales freight collected from them so i enquired but the price I got was just ridiculous i.e. Rate would be 440.00 plus 10% fuel plus 5.2% low sulphur (whatever that is) plus 70.00 customs up to 4 declarations.

Just wondering if there are better / cheaper options of bringing large items from the UK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

That's some mad pricing. Been a number of years and all pre-Brexit but I got a large bed frame shipped via Trans-Bridge Freight Services in Manchester. The bed frame was 120kg total packed in 5 boxes with largest dimensions at 2.2x1.5x0.3m and cost was £86 at the time. Bed manufacturer shipped the product to their depot in Manchester so cost was just for shipping from Manchester to my address in Dublin. They were good to deal especially as there was months of delay with the manufacturer from my initial inquiry so worth trying for a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sir_luksik

Thanks for the company name, I'll give them a call. The total weight of the doors would be pretty much the same, it's approx 120kg in 4 boxes and the door company can deliver for free anywhere in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Ask do they have a depot in Northern Ireland. Delivery reduced and no worries with customs or VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭leandrolorenzi

You could use shiply to receive quotes from different couriers, It is a marketplace where couriers could compete for the same job. I used a few times with no issues, anyway you may be dealing with companies as well as individual, and the due diligence is on you.

There are also some fbook groups for Uk/IE couriers where they post their routes and are happy to add stuff if they have space available.

Brexit added paperwork (and costs) which in some cases could be circumvented going through the North. Probably doesn't worth the hassle, but maybe you could also get stuff delivered cheaply to Newry and then organize the section in the Republic

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sir_luksik

I used Shiply this morning but the cheapest quote I got was for £1200 which is more that the quote from Hales. Just checking if the company can deliver to NI and I'll pick it up from there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement