Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self employed subcontracter

Options
  • 24-05-2023 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi I'm a self employed gardener and have recently been sub contrating for a garden centre. I have always filed my own tax returns. I have invoiced the garden centre twice and 1st time got my agreed price no problem. On the second invoice they told me that they need to deduct prsi paye and usc from my wages. My question is if I'm self employed surely I sort all these tax payments myself? If they are deducting prsi paye and usc don't I have to be employed by them? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭downtheroad

You're correct. If you've invoiced them €1,000 as a contractor they should be paying you €1,000 and you're responsible for declaring this income to Revenue and paying the applicable taxes on your trading profits.

If they withhold income tax, USC, PRSI they are treating you as an employee. In that case you should be getting a payslip and the employment registered with Revenue.

Advertisement