Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

holiday insurance

Options
  • 24-05-2023 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

i generally buy annual insurance in case of multi trips. My travel is always in the EU. However, I plan a trip to Australia next spring and wonder if I should just go for the 'round the world' cover or take separate insurance for that trip? Very difficult to speak to anyone in insurance, most companies just want you to buy online. Would welcome any direction from people in the industry. Taking a trip to Portugal next week so need to get something sorted. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A round the world annual policy is going to cost a lot more than an annual EU policy and a separate policy for Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Just did a quick check on Blue Insurance for annual multi trip - using basic cover, there is just €10 between EU and Worldwide - OP, just go on the websites and price them up - it is not something the insurers can advice you to do or not do, its a simple question of economics and the answers are easily obtained by setting up quotes on the various travel insurance websites.

Boards cannot advice you as there are unknowns such as your age, medical history and whether you have a medical insurance policy etc.

My feeling is that is that it will be cheaper and simpler to get an annual worldwide policy now.

If you are separating your covers - ensure you buy the Australia single trip ASAP - you have no cover for cancellation due to illness etc until you buy the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭chancer12

Thanks so much for your comments, appreciate it. hadn't thought about the cancellation element!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Travelling within the EU a European Health Insurance Card should be enough for any urgent health support. That's free as it's covered by our tax. The only advantage of travel insurance for Europe is travel, baggage and similar cover which is just a material compensation but no help on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭BobMc

little bit more than that insurance covers, E111 is brilliant for local treatment even up to something more serious requiring hospitalization, but medical cover is a must if you need repatriation after serious accident or god forbid you die and need bringing home, IMO never leave home without it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Oh absolutely, repatriation is probably the most difficult expense to manage and I completely agree. However, a chance is very slim. I would probably prefer to be cremated in the country I had my holidays at, though.

Regarding holiday insurance I use VHI Multitrip which to date has covered me around the world, but my medical status is changing so I need to investigate further for my own case as to my cover, especially outside EU. Australia is a long long way to be repatriated home from, so you have to find out if a policy covers this. Also you have to take into account age. Eg, you really can’t get cover at all for a trip to USA over a certain age, as I once found out when travelling there with my mother. Also certain pre-existing conditions may or may not be covered, the more serious ones unlikely to be. You need to contact each insurer individually if there are specific concerns. Another thing, if you happen to eg injure your arm during a trip after having just a couple of drinks, whether it is related to the alcohol or not, I have heard about insurance companies being reluctant to pay out. I’ve needs to pay attention to the tedious small print.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭thebiglad

That's what gofundme is for, don't waste €30 on insurance when it can go on pints 😀

Advertisement