Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

in 40's want to start guitar - which model

Options
  • 24-05-2023 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

HI All,

prob been asked loads before and sorry for wastig time if so...

Im in my late 40's and want to learn (teach myself) the guitar. I know its somethiing that will take time and more importantly persisitence, but over the years ive picked it up and can play a few chords but have always been to busy and had to put in down... resulting in me having to start fresh again.

Ive time to spend most days these days and want to commit and dedicate my time to it... Have looked at Justinugitars youtube tutorial and they seem very good. Acoustic folk/rock/indie type stuff is what im thinking.

Looking for recemndations on a guitar that would suit. I've a budget for a mid-range or half decent second hand one.

Any advise would be great

THanks

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

If you can already play a few chords, it's worth heading into a guitar shop, and trying out a few. Acoustic guitar types can be very personal. Some folks like big dreadnoughts, others smaller instruments.

If I was going to pick up an acoustic online, I'd probably lean towards Takamine https://www.thomann.de/ie/takamine_gj72ce_2_nat.htm but again, that's personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Thanks. When I say I can play a few chords I do mean that I have tried a few times over the last 20 years to learn to play but I couldn’t play a chord from memory…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

I've always loved the sound of Tanglewoods if they're within your budget and they age well. I would support your intention to avoid going cheap, because staying committed to playing guitar is hard enough even without it being a piece of crap or a child's toy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

what kind of music do you want to play?

if you're aiming for Iron Maiden, then don't get an acoustic!

I've been playing for 40 years and i have my preferences.... If I was downsizing and moving to a 5th floor flat... then a McIlroy jumbo acoustic, a Fender stratocaster and a 5 string bass would make it up the stairs.....

but it depends on what you feel.

compared to other musical instruments (I have a cellist and a french horn player in the family) guitars are cheap as chips.

As suggested above, go to a music shop and try 10. or 20! as a mature gent, the staff are more likely to allow you to look around than if you were 14.....

I once spent a very pleasant afternoon in Matchett's in Belfast and I played the full rack of acoustics. from £50 to a £1600 Yairi. the one I went back to? a £100 Jay Turser. Price isn't everything. feel is.

and y'know what? if you pay €250 on a guitar now...... you can flip it on later and get a different one.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭techman1

What would be the easiest instrument for a beginner to start on, guitar, electric piano, saxophone or other?

Just curious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Im hoping to play 'strumming' classics from indie, folk and rock. Just want to focus my attention and time in something ive tried before but just let it fall by the wayside. Thanks fot the response

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

I've heard that learning sax is like putting an oil rig in your mouth.

For ME it was guitar. I can play enough chords on a piano to check that it's coming through the monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Piano would probably be the easiest to begin with, guitar while rewarding can be very fiddly compared.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 audiobabble

Conventional wisdom would suggest the piano, being the most accessible and the easiest to get a sound out of... however, I had piano lessons, briefly learned the recorder and the tuba when I was a kid and none of those held the slightest bit of interest. Guitar was the one that clicked with me, so I guess it depends on the individual. {maybe it helped that, at the time, I thought Kurt Cobain and Jimi Hendrix were best thing since sliced bread also...}

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭NiceFella

To play something that sounds okay, I say guitar because their is so much more material to consume when learning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement