Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Night of Champions 2023 *Spoilers*

Options
  • 24-05-2023 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭

The event is scheduled to be held on Saturday, May 27th, 2023, at the Jeddah Super Dome in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

The ppv card:

• Cody Rhodes vs. Brock Lesnar
    • Becky Lynch vs. Trish Stratus
    • Rhea Ripley vs. Natalya (SmackDown Women’s Championship match)
    • Bianca Belair vs. Asuka (Raw Women’s Championship match)
    • Gunther vs. Mustafa Ali (Intercontinental Championship)
    • Seth Rollins vs. AJ Styles (WWE World Heavyweight Championship tournament)
    • Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn vs. Roman Reigns and Solo Sikoa (Undisputed Tag Team Championship match

"Triple Main Event" advertised, the last match is the main event, show closer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,802 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So the match for a new title in which there's guaranteed to be a new champion is not closing the show?

I thought Sami was one of the guys who refused to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It seems to be a triple main event 🤔 yep Sami wouldn't go there before so either his views changed or more money given as now he is going, not sure if he made any comment on it before but maybe he will if asked at the press conference

Not all titles defended as no US, Roman's "titles" or women's tag titles

This week's SD already pre recorded from last week

Cody and Roman's matches the only ones with some sort of build

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Sami's beef was tied to the Syria/Saudi issue apparently. Diplomatic relations have resumed between the countries now so he can go.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'll watch later

As expected Rollins wins the new World title

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Becky busted up again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Christ, Asuka wins title.

In her Kill Bill gear 😁

I think Zoey Stark with Trish could work, push her as a top heel after Rhea on Raw, she must be in their plans as since the draft has featured dominately

Will Asuka return to Raw with the title, happy she won as Bianca had got stale

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Go on Jimmy!

Bloodline storyline is just cinematic magic, Oscar worthy

Post edited by JP Liz V1 on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The first kick was good but the second kick was even better. Good finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I've been watching wrestling since the early 90s and it is absolutely the best storyline we've ever seen. Even better then Austin vs McMahon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Fantastic show. Setting up some great stuff for the near future.

The women's matches seem to be going the way of the heels so much that I think perhaps they are building towards a Rhea v Asuka, Raw v Smackdown universal title match at SummerSlam? I think the rumour that Natalya injured her knee on the steel steps in Rhea's initial onslaught is probably true, as it's also reported people in close proximity at the show said that it was actually Rhea who signalled that the match needed to be pulled quickly. Hence Rhea's seemingly absurd, even by her standards, dominance. She also seemed to have used moves in finishing Natalya that would avoid further exacerbating a leg injury.

Also now that Trish has acquired an ally in Zoey, do they plan for Lita to team up again with Becky at SS, for a revenge match against Trish/Zoey, that finalises this storyline?

The Bloodline storyline is epic!

This is my own pure speculation and wishful thinking from here on. I don't know the exact sequence they will use but if it was up to me I would have Jimmy vs Roman at Money in the Bank, with Jimmy getting the obvious upper hand, but then losing to Roman by cheating, something akin to Roman/Cody at WM39. This could be worked by Roman's manipulation of Solo's anger towards his brothers for the accidental double super kick at NOC.

With a bad, unjust beatdown and robbery of Jimmy, this could then push Jey, who even yet is being played as very apprehensive about Jimmy's actions, into an unequivocal anti Roman position, possibly by having to rescue Jimmy himself from Roman/Solo, or witness others such as Sami/Kevin/Riddle do so in London. (My ideal case scenario would be Jey and Sami both running to the ring together to help Jimmy at MITB.) It could also be used as a chance to really begin Solo also rebelling against the Tribal Chief, due to latent feelings of guilt over Jimmy's treatment, which could be shown building in the weeks leading to to a highly expected Usos vs Roman/Solo tag team headliner at SummerSlam, where Solo would also turn on Roman, completing the breaking of the Bloodline.

There you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

They've separated the Bloodline at the right time. Jimmy has done well over the last couple of weeks but it should still be Jey that puts the final nail in the storyline. How Cody falls into that is anybodies guess as he should still be the one to beat Roman.

High praise for Jey's acting, he really conveys an abusive relationship so well. EDIT if not Cody I'd be fine with Jey taking the titles off Roman as he deserves it.

It seems one by one they are turning on Roman with Solo being last

I don't know now what for Cody, waiting until next year at WM to get at Roman is too long imho, he is hot and over now

• Registered Users Posts: 28,802 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

What exactly are the rules for women here? Like is Becky going to get in trouble for showing a bit of skin? And figure hugging outfits are okay. Yet they seem to know the women from tv where they aren't covered up. I noticed they even had the women for the tag team match card fully covered.

Glad Asuka won.

Obvious who was going to win the new title but now who will the first contender be?

Zoey with Trish seems right for some reason. With the mentions of Lita, I am surprised she hasn't been back.

Lesnar/Cody now sitting at 1 each. Summerslam or MitB for the decider?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Agree with you about the catsuits on the women being daft, when they see them every week with the more usual leotards on tv, same as we all do. But there was an awful lot of kowtowing to the wishes and peculiarities of the KSA in the show. e.g. Having Mustafa Ali doing Umrah at the Great Mosque in Mecca, constant stuff like "Jeddah is a modern metropolitan city on the Red Sea and the gateway to Mecca.." etc. At times it sounded blatantly like a tourist advert, which I guess is what the Sauds get for the rumoured 50 million WWE receives for events held there.

I could see them leave the inevitable third (and probably final, for now at least) Cody-Brock match until SummerSlam. They could well just have Cody making regular appearances doing promos until August on the back of the "broken" arm storyline.

It would also somewhat help to keep the next Cody-Roman faceoff at bay, if as strongly rumoured the rematch is being planned for WM40 in April 2024. This incidentally is why I also think they might have a Jimmy v Roman showdown at MITB, with an Usos v Roman & Solo tag match for SS, with Solo sticking by Roman to that point before he also turns away, leaving a lone Roman Reigns on the road to Wrestlemania, ducking and dodging along the way to hang on to his titles. (I am, I admit, leaning a bit on the words used by Triple H as he introduced the new heavyweight championship last month. He specifically spoke of this being a title that would be defended, unlike Roman who was dodging title matches for the universal championship. I think this contrast will be further expanded upon now. Seth will probably be defending his twice a month and Roman probably twice altogether between here and April.)

Whatever happens, I sure am looking forward now!

Advertisement