Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ENGWE E-bikes - X26 All Terrain E-Bike - Anyone own one in Ireland?

Options
  • 23-05-2023 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭
    EMar Sounds

Posted a similar topic in the bicycle section, apparently it's not a bicycle, topic was closed.

I cycle quite a bit, switching to an electric motor would be very helpful for longer journeys.

I've checked out some e-bikes and tested a few at local stores, mostly 750w motors.

Saw an ad for Engwe X26 a while back, company is based in China with warehouses in Europe.

They have some unique designs, don't know much about them or the quality or their products.

Trying to find out more, if anyone in Ireland owns an Engwe bike and what's your experience.

Engwe X26 has a max speed of 50km/h. Motor 1200W (PEAK) high-speed brushless motor.

Engwe M20 looks pretty retro. Max Speed: 25km/h. Motor: 750W brushless motor.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I think to be considered an e-bike, the electric motor is not permitted to provide assistance beyond the 25Kph mark. The Engwe line are all usually advertised for speeds at double that figure. This would mean that technically, they are classed as a motor vehicle and most likely why your thread in the Bicycle forum was closed. Here is an article from Irish Cycle on the proposed laws around this: IrishCycle.com -- Electric bicycles with assistance beyond 25 km/h will be treated as light mopeds

That being said, I have an Engwe EP2 Pro and it is a great piece of kit. I know several people in work who also bought them and swear by them for the short journeys they have to get to the office (all of them are less than 10k away). Not sure how the X26 or the M20 are but they look a lot beefier than what I have and definitely more like a light motorbike than a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Sounds
    EMar Sounds

@Miscreant I like your style, nice bike! bit of extra power under your butt when you need it.

TBH I was thinking thin bicycle tires before I saw an e-bike up close, and 26" tires seemed huge.

I agree, that M20 looks more like a retro motorcycle design, probably great bike for short city journeys.

I don't really need a motorcycle though, but having a more powerful motor would definitely be useful.

Anything with speeds above 25Kph is classes as a speed bike, and will require an AM license.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Miscreant

For sure, "Speed bikes" will require an AM licence.... also motor tax, insurance and a registration plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

The Engine X is made for the EU market. 250 watt motor and comes with EN15194 certification. I have one and love it. There's an EN15194 sticker on the bike and they'll email you the PDFs of all the the certificates they've obtained.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Sounds
    EMar Sounds

@O'Prez I seen two of your bikes this evening, slick!

The sound of those fat tires coming down the street..

I think I'll need a bit more juice though, for long journeys,

I'll have to do the theory test, tax, insurance and the rest.

Thanks for your feedback!

• Advertisement
Advertisement