Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please - genuine home insurance comparison sites?

Options
  • 23-05-2023 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

Are there any genuine, independent, Irish home insurance quote comparison sites out there? I've been Googling like mad but all I keep getting is insurance companies claiming to be comparison sites but in actual fact they're just trying to flog me their own products.

Grateful for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Bump

Some of those websites are broker websites so they may be comparing the house insurance products of different insurers based on inputs.

Would recommend ringing a broker for a quote and make a note of exact details you are providing and exact details of cover.

Then do two random quotes with different insurance companies and compare the price of the broker and the direct channel.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Zurich and Aviva seem to be more or less the same price for me. They are nearly 35-40% up on last year. The others are another 20% up.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I usually make about five or six phone calls, to a mix of brokers and direct to companies, and I'll get a feel for what I will wind up paying. Then it's a matter of bargaining one against the other.

Agree with the advice to set your parameters (rebuild value, contents value, excess), and make sure you're comparing like with like.

Applies to car as well as home insurance.

It's a complete PITA, but I have not yet managed to find a way around just doing the legwork.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I was with Bank of Ireland but ended up going with Zurich this year who gave me the same cover for €120 euro less.

Advertisement