Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lewis Hamilton to Ferrari?

Options
  • 23-05-2023 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

What are everyones thoughts on the rumours surrounding a move for Lewis Hamilton to Ferrari?

It's clear that neither Ferrari nor Mercedes can offer him a title-winning car at the moment. If there is no sign of an improvement with the W14 by Spain, will Lewis make the move to fulfill a childhood dream and hope that he can turn Ferrari around for a potential 8th?

I'm unsure if the culture is right for Lewis at Ferrari, but perhaps the challenge of bringing Ferrari back to the top might be good for him. I think it's unlikely that Charles would stick around if Lewis came on board and a move to Mercedes would probably be on the cards for him in this eventuality.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

As someone who doesnt like lewis I am happy to see him in not the fastest car for once. Whether thats mercedes or ferrari is of little concern to me! However I can see the allure of the maranello and why he'd go there if he doesnt see the mercedes doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I think Ferrari are a bit disorganised behind the scenes. It's a very long way away from the days of Todt and Brawn.

Can Hamilton turn that around? I don't think so as I get the impresion he had little to do with the runing of Mercedes over the years.

It would be good for Russell though and I'd like to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I think a lot of people would argue that Lewis is far from being the GOAT and got lucky with a consistently good car. I'm a Lewis fan but I can see his weaknesses, particularly in qualifying. Max showed some weakness at Baku. Being through a curveball in the form of a sprint weekend didn't work for him. Charles still struggles with finding the biting point in his car and George isn't quite the racer Lewis is yet in terms of his consistency.

I think all four drivers have a chance at the Championship in the right car so it's really about all of them navigating that and putting themselves in that car. The only sure thing is Max in the Red Bull at the moment. A move for Lewis and Charles might be good for them but I also think if the W14 doesn't show signs of improving by Spain, Lewis will start thinking about his legacy more so than trying to find that 8th. A move to Ferrari might be a nice way to finish out his career.

I also think Charles is burnt out with Ferrari and the draw of a more mature, well-rounded team might be a good long-term prospect for him. Lewis won't care as much about this.

exactly. The ferrari success was as much driven by Schumacher, Brawn and Todt than anyone else in the organisation then or now. They won races with great strategy from the pit wall, with a driver that was flat out better than the rest of the grid even if the car wasnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭n.d.os

The culture at Ferrari is going to be completely different from that at Mercedes. Mercedes is essentially a British team and Ferrari is Italian. I expect Ferrari is littered with bureaucracy behind the scenes and I'm not sure if this would suit Lewis. At the same time, I think Mercedes needs to pull up its socks, put down the Chai Lattes and start making a more cutthroat plan to move forward.

• Advertisement

Yes agree with all the above. Ferrari has lots of political issues behind the scenes. Look at the great, non MSC drivers that have gone there and not been able to win a WDC. Kimi got lucky in 07 (although kimi could have won in mclaren and was unlucky so it balanced out). After that you have Seb and Alonso, two of the best of the best of this generation and in their peak when they were at maranello but could not win the big one.

Ferrari strategy is now awful, its funny watching old races with Schumacher and murray walker saying ferrari strategists are the best in the business! Nowadays it's Plan Z every race.

I can't see lewis fitting in there. Lewis reminds me of Vettel (and I'm a fan of Seb), in that he's a great driver and he lucked into having the best car for some of his WDC. His driving style suits being in the lead and driving to a pace - like seb - and isnt the best at cutting through the field, unless he has a massive delta to the cars around him. I cant see Mercedes or Ferrari giving him that, and , in the absence of having a title competing car, I can see why he would want to move to be in an upper midfield ferrari instead of an upper midfield mercedes!

Advertisement