Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it still 10 years working in the country to qualify for pension?

Options
  • 22-05-2023 6:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,999 ✭✭✭✭

Basically as the title says, how many years would I need to work in Ireland to qualify for a state pension?

And with this length of time, would it be a partial pension or full amount?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The citizens information site provides full details of the rules at this link:

For citizens of the EU/EEA/CH it is a bit different as all their contributions across the region are taken into consideration in calculating their entitlement. In summary the process is as follows:

• You apply for the pension in the state you are resident in at the age you are entitled to a pension in any member state.
    • In your application you provide all the details of contributions made in each member state.
    • The state agency then contacts the agencies in the other states to determine and agree your entitlement in that state
    • If you do not qualify for a full state pension in any member state, then the agency must work out the maximum amount you are entitled to using all contributions you made in all states. The calculations are complex, but in simple terms they compare the amount you would get as if you received a partial pension in each state or a full pension in any state using all your contributions. Once the maximum amount is determined it is paid by each state in proportion to the contributions you made in each state.
    • One other thing, the state that pays the largest portion of your pension is also responsible for your healthcare and some other public services.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,999 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I was wondering if you get the full pension in NI from 35yrs service, and I was to start working in Roi and did 10yrs or so here, would the irish authorities take the view, "you're getting a full pension from the UK, we aren't giving you a full one here too".

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Sorry I have not had any occasion to look at the post BREXIT situation as it relates to NI. I have never heard of any state denying someone their entitlements because they were due a full pension in another state. The EU/EEA/CH rules are there to ensure you can maximize your contributions and only come into play if you fail to qualify for a full pension in any state.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,999 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks again for your reply.

Advertisement