Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reseeding & Agrional sprayer

Options
  • 21-05-2023 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi

I am going reseeding some silage ground (all old pasture grass). I'm goin to do it myself. My friend has a 3mtr disc harrow with scallop discs and has a seeder on it also. I purchased a 600ltr Agrional sprayer toward the back end of last yr but this will be my first time using it. I have an auto fill hose with it.I was just wondering if someone might be able to explain the valve arrangements as regards the pump. There is a rince tank on the sprayer. As regards Pic 1 and valve 2 should this be straight up to run it through the manifold. If it is down it is mixing?. I presume valve 1 on pic 1 is only the valve to pull water from the rince tank. What height would the boom ideally want to be of the ground. I am being told I should spray the silage ground to burn it off min 7 days before I cut. I was goin to do it after as I was nervous if the weather broke after spraying we could be in trouble. What are peoples opinions. I will be putting slurry on the ground after followed by lime.

Just another question as regards disc harrowing. How deep should you go with it.

Thanks in advance.

Post edited by happylad on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

As for spraying you have to cut on the 7th day for silage no matter what as its the only time it's safe with the spray. Any longer and you could be left with old dirt in the bales.

As gor discing I really only go down about 4 or 5 inches when I'm discing.

Longer you leave the field to die the better it'll break for the discs. Min 2 weeks but ideally 3 weeks. Should be nearly rusty red looking

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭happylad

Reggie thanks for getting back to me. I think I'll wait till the bales are off it and it starts to green up to spray it. I'm in no major panic to get it done. Would there be any problem with putting slurry out on the ground after it is cut

Just make sure it's watery and about 1000 gals per acre

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hi. I was just goin spraying off some ground if the weather ever looks to improve. For burning of grass how much water do you mix in with the chemical. Its the blue nozzle tips I have on the sprayer. I was working out at a pressure of 4bar and working with a speed of 8km/hr maybe 1ltr to 40ltrs water. Wasent sure was this correct. I was goin to use 5ltrs of chemical to hectare .

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Always work in ha as its easiest to calculate and then drop back to acres afterwards

Roundup for a grassland kill is 6l/ ha. The blue nozzles will output 240 litres at 3 bar when travelling at 6km/h. That's a 100 litres per acre. That's a good water volume for most grassland spraying

On the chemical rate is 6 litres/ ha. Thats 2.43 litres of roundup/ acres

So per acre, 100 litres of water and 2.43 litres of round up

8 kmh is a tough speed to spray at for most cheap grassland sprayer with sway in the booms. Running a higher pressure will have more wear on the nozzles. Steady and slow is the key.

Mr stonewall thanks for getting back to me. That's great.

When I did the sprayer course a few years ago, that was the key message. Blue nozzles, 3 bar pressure at 6kmh😀😀

Hi all was just checking something if I could. When I am spraying a field I generally keep the nozzles 500/600mm of the grass. I am basing this on the nozzle spacings being 500mm. I just have the blue nozzles on my sprayer.

Anyone have opinions on this

I spray about 3 foot off the crop. Give it abit of height

• Advertisement

700mm is the optimum number. Any where around this is fine as Ireland isn't flat plains

Hi I reseeded ground in the 26th Aug after disc harrowing and then power harrow. Ground was burned of and lime applied beforehand. I applied a grass mix with clover through it. Grass has come on the finest but I assume it will need some post emergence spray. It's like hens teeth to get clover safe spray but a mate has 2no db plus he said I can use. Is this as good as clovermax. Cloversafe sprays are impossible to get. What amount of water do ye generally put in. With conditions being so wet you would wonder will it do more harm than good. Ground is soft at moment

• Registered Users Posts: 18,374 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Hi.

Ground is reseeded 7wks now and the chances of getting out with clover safe spray are getting less and less with weather and temps. At this stage growth is poor also so even if i got out would the weeds soak up the spray??. If I waited till spring would it be a waste of time. Would the cloversafe spray kill clover and all at that stage. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 18,374 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Clover safe sprays will not kill weeds that are much more than 4-5 weeks old . Weeds have to be at the two leaf stage. If weeds are more advanced than that you need a weedkiller that will kill the clover.

Slava Ukrainii

If we had to wait till spring what spray could be used even if we had to take the hit on loosing the clover. I see chickweed, buttercup and some dockleave starting to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Conversations 3

With rain coming around noon tomorrow would I be ok to spray clover max this morning?

Would it be rain fast by then

Hi Conversations 3 I chanced spraying ground with dB plus today so fingers crossed it works out. I know its not ideal to be doing it so late in yr with temps being back.

Hi everyone. Just an update I reseeded ground on the 26th Aug. I sprayed db plus on the 16th Oct. I know it was late but it was the only dry time. I sprayed 100ltrs water to 2.8ltrs chem 3bar 6km/hr. Spray looks to have stunted the weed growth but not killed them. Would that be all down to wrong time of year to spray.

I would expect its spring again b4 I go out. This time I would imagine its something other than cloversafe spray. Chickweed & buttercup are main culprits.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement