Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 visa

Options
  • 21-05-2023 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello all, my friend was unable to secure a J1 visa however she has a holiday visa and plans on working in San Diego on a holiday visa. I was just wondering if this is risky? She is going alone but she has told her parents she is going with her friends from college. I am very worried for her as she tends to make bad decisions for herself. I was hoping to maybe report her going on a holiday visa so she wouldn’t be able to go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

One of the stipulations of the ESTA is that you CANNOT work - it's very risky. Employers are reluctant to employ undocumented - they face huge fines. Your friend could be deported and banned from the US indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

OP, I would earnestly urge You to heed what EOR says. That friend of Yours risks a lifetime ban if she is caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You need to do a lot more than illegal work for a lifetime ban from a country, more likely to be deported and banned for 3 or 5 years.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Not a good idea. If she is caught she would most likely be deported and harm any future chance of legal work or immigration in the US. I know when you're that young you're not really thinking that far ahead but try to talk sense to them. She may be questioned at the border about her intentions in the US. Single person, college age travelling to San Diego with a return ticket months from now probably fits some kind of profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cleo1408

is there a way to report her before she leaves ireland?

• Advertisement
Advertisement