Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best public location to view ships in Dublin port

Options
  • 21-05-2023 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

My kid is currently fascinated by ships.

I'd like to get him as close as possible to some big ones.

Where is the beat public location from which to view cargo ships, ferries etc using Dublin port?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

What age is he, might be a bit late for this one but maybe next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Out on the south wall probably, watching the ferries coming in/leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I agree. It would be a good idea to look at the port's timetable of activity first, though. I can't access it at the moment on their website but this may be useful as an alternative. https://www.myshiptracking.com/ports/port-of-dublin-in-ie-ireland-id-144

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If the budget will run to it one of these cruises might suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You can actually just drive into the port all the way to the Irish Ferries passenger terminal and see the boats. There's some pay and display parking along the road

You can see the container ships across the river as well

Never been in the terminal myself but it's possible you can go upstairs and look out the windows without a ticket

Another option if you're up for a drive is Rosslare Europort, bit smaller but the ships are closer to the action as far as I know

Further afield there's also the Carlingford Lough car ferry, it's quite a haul for a 20 mins ferry trip but if you're in the vicinity you could add it to your itinerary

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Pretty much here would be your best bet, and an area you can drive to and park at… (though obviously very busy during weekends)

The Great South Wall Parking

Every ship entering/leaving the port will pass this point. And you also get a good view out to the bay from this spot so you can see the ships approaching from afar (a walk down to the Poolbeg Lighthouse is also well wormer while).

Check the Dublin Port arrivals/departures on their website as if you pick the right 1-2 hours window you should get to fee some ferries arriving/departing as well as some of the Ro/Ro’s like the Seatrucks etc…

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

And then after you’ve scratched that itch, you could give him the ultimate surprise of a day trip over to Holyhead… over on the big slow boat (3.5hrs), and maybe back on the fast boat (1.7hrs)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Went with south wall. Along with it being a lovely walk we saw two ferries leaving which was great.

On the way home we went up the keys and saw two tall ships and at the point depo bridge saw 2 large cargo vessels and an Irish navy vessel across the river. He had a great time.

ferry terminal is a good idea, might try it another Sunday.

He's quite a bit too young for the tall ships excursion but a trip around Dublin bay and eventual trip across to the UK are both on the cards.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If he/you are up for an early morning outing, from about 7-9am is rush hour in the port, there's great comings and goings - I used to love getting a takeaway coffee on an early morning shift and mooching down for my fix of sea and ships!

This would be a lovely drive. Up the motorway to Newry, drive along the river/canal to the small port at Warrenpoint. There’s a possibility to do kayaking etc at the beach there too. Drive around to Rostrevor and up the the mountaintop car park to watch the shipping in Carlingford Lough. Then drive to the nice safe Blue Flag beach of Cranfield for a swim & ice cream, then to Greencastle to get the scenic car ferry to Greenore. Some old boats at Greencastle harbour. Greenore is a quaint shipping port and planned village, quite unusual. Drive to the pretty coastal village of Carlingford. Then to Dundalk to join the motorway back to Dublin. An overnight stay at Carlingford would be an option, to break up the journey.

• Advertisement
Advertisement