Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using 2nd router as wi fi extender

Options
  • 20-05-2023 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭

Help badly needed ! Build a wood log cabin as basically man cave / office beside house . ran cat 5 cable under ground out . Vodafone wouldn't sell me a 2nd gigabox router and I had a €200 tp link router spare. So long story short plugged in cat 5 cable into both routers . All devices in house seemed to work fine after it bar laptop kept disconnecting saying DNS error . So out in log house cabin firestick plugged into splitter which is plugged into router . It streamed match off firestick near perfect . Tablet playing another match connected through tp link router wi fi streamed near perfect whole game . But my I phone and other phones disconnecting from wi fi constantly out there . seems be issues with some devices and not with others ? iv tried re booting whole network , i phone connected better for awhile and then back same old story . Anyone know at solving it with changing settings in both routers ? Now i'm back in home house and wired internet even dropped out for a minute to other firestick during a game . routers seem be in conflict with each other that some devices dropping out now and again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Did you disable the DHCP server on the TP link?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

on secondary router:

1.set static IP in the same range as main ( for future management ), go for high numbers

2.Set it in AP mode or disable DHCP, NAT, firewall

3.Configure WiFi , separate from main or same SSID/pass for seamless transition between buildings

should just work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭brady12

Ya i'm going to do all that if i can figure out bloody password to log into to link . iv factory reset and everything and trying default passwords but won't let me log in . Tempted get some sort wired access point at this stage that i can plug into splitter and fires out strong wi fi signal

To start, disconnect secondary from network, disconnect you computer from your home network(including WiFi).

Connect your computer over Ethernet directly to secondary. Default IP and credentials should be on the label.

While still connected to secondary...

Now you can connect secondary to your home network and test

I just want say thank ye for taking time out yer day to help a stranger . I did what ye said I was up at half 6 at it . Everything seems be working perfectly at both ends now . Had to factory reset tp link a 2nd time before the default password for log in worked . Thanks again people !

• Advertisement

Few days later and everything working fine bar one issue .. Plugged in my pc by internet cable into tp link router out in office in cabin. Completely slowed down my wi fi to barely usable when it's booted up . It's a €200 tp link router that should be able handle pc . Had this in home house before with this pc on terrible vodafone cheap standard huawei router but once they upgraded router to gigabox it solved it . Any settings I change that might help ? Tried pc before wireless and still slowed down that huawei router so prob be same here . I was saying €200 router that has gaming in mind and reviewed well should be able for it but maybe it's cos two router approach ?And vodafone won't sell me a 2nd gigabox the pr***ks

€€ tag is irrelevant, model is way better.

Nothing to do with VF not selling you second router, tp-link should handle just fine, might even better

Ethernet connected device should not have effect on WiFi speed in "normal" conditions.

Is speed effected on cable connected device or WiFi only? Is there any other devices on cable(anywhere on your network) - do they experience same slowdown?

Does speed recover if you disconnect PC from network? Anything dodgy installed on PC that could "eat" the bandwidth? torrent, etc client? other?

Only happens to pc . when I boot it up it's fine but if i play a game on steam or go on google seems slow down wi fi significantly where barely usable . Any other wired device doesn't effect internet .Don't know anything dodgy on it but will have double check .

Averaging 50mbps when PC not online 5-8 when it is

Ethernet connected device should not effect WiFi, not to that degree.

What model is TPlink?

50Mbps is very low anyway these days(depending on devices, distance , obstructions)

• Advertisement

Archer vr2800. Fibre all over village just not here with me 😅😂. yet

What VF connection you have(is it cable, mobile), what max speed (Ethernet connected preferably) you have usually, without TP in play, disconnect it ?

What IP VF router has? Either read from router or Default Gateway from device that is connected to VF router.

Post screenshots of your TP configuration:

Advanced>>Operation mode

Advanced>>Network>>LAN

Advertisement