Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel: Awkward concatenate xlookup formula

Options
  • 19-05-2023 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Is this the right forum to ask excel related questions?

I have created a clunky formula (see below) that translates a string of letters into a collection of terms using a table. The table has two columns, column A is letters A-E and column B is a collection of terminology, so in cell A2 is "A" and in B2 is "climate change /" and in A3 is "B" and B3 is "basketball /" and A4 is "C" and B4 is "barbie dolls", etc.

The formula below is using cell N23 as the reference, so in N23 if I write "CA" the result of the formula will be climate change /barbie dolls

=CONCAT((IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("A",N23)),XLOOKUP("A",Table1[Code],Table1[Term],"?"),"")),(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("B",N23)),XLOOKUP("B",Table1[Code],Table1[Term],"?"),"")),(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("C",N23)),XLOOKUP("C",Table1[Code],Table1[Term],"?"),"")),(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("D",N23)),XLOOKUP("D",Table1[Code],Table1[Term],"?"),"")),(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("E",N23)),XLOOKUP("E",Table1[Code],Table1[Term],"?"),"")))

This formula is awkward as is, but if another term is added to the table of codes, for example "F" and "flooding", I need to add an extra part to the formula to lookup F.

Is there a neat way of using a lookup table to translate codes like this? Please help!

Ps, please don't suggest writing any background code. That is beyond my capabilities.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Spectral.Instance

You can omit the / character from the entries in your table, and just use this formula:

=TEXTJOIN(" / ",TRUE,XLOOKUP(MID(N23,SEQUENCE(1,LEN(N23)),1),Table1[Code],Table1[Term],"?"))

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

Oh my goodness - that worked! How did you come up with that? It was wrecking my head!

Thank you so much!

Advertisement