Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax as a sole trader

Options
  • 19-05-2023 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all,

I hope you can help me. I am trying to set up a small online business as a sole trader. I've registered my company etc and now I need to register for tax. But what if I don't make many sales in the first few months or a year? I know you need to make a certain amount to pay tax. But are there other taxes I will need to pay? Even if I don't have many sales?

I hope I'm making sense. My worry is, worst case scenario, that I don't have many sales and have to pay other taxes. Are there any sole traders that could help?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,102 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

First point: there are three types of businesses

Sole traders

Partnerships

Companies

You mention that you are a sole trader, and also a company.

You need to clarify that first.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭CWMMC

As per what Geuze said it first depends on what type of business you are. If you are a company and you make no money in the first year you still have to pay the minimum of €500 PRSI for the year. As a sole trader if you earn the threshold your tax credits will cover your income tax.

If you are a company, you will be an employee of the company in which the company will then need to pay your taxes on your employment. You will also still need to pay your Corporation Tax even if you earn €1 for the year.

Advertisement