Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IICP QQI 6 Cert in Counselling and Psychotherapy "V" PCI College Cert in Counselling & Psychotherapy

Options
  • 19-05-2023 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi Guys, Im thinking of doing a certificate course in counselling and psychotherapy over the summer, if I can get the funds together! I am totally confused about which course to do if i am to do one. Am I correct in saying the QQI-accredited course from IICP would be the better choice? After all if the ICP one was as good or on par wouldnt it be QQI rated too? I assumed that was the gold standard in Ireland as they are a state body!? They seem to be both reputable institutions. IICP only do blended learning while PCI have the option to do fully in person on campus or blended.

Cost

PCI is €1155, Blended Learning Option is €1060, Certification: PCI College Cert in Counselling & Psychotherapy

IICP Blended learning is €1300, Certification: Certificate is a Special Purpose Award validated by QQI at level 6 on the NFQ. 20 ECTS Credits

Future Education

PCI is a BSC Middlesex University Cert

IICP BSC again is (QQI Validated & IACP Accredited)

Any one any pointers or feedback?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭flipflophead22

hi just wondered if you went with PCI College Cert in Counselling & Psychotherapy course? I have been looking at it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Quay_Koncept

Hi Flip, didnt go but I decided if I am to do it ill do the one that is QQI validated, im very unsure of something with a cert from another country so ill give PCI a miss

Gotcha, what advantage does QQI have over IACP if you intend working in Ireland do you know? I thought IACP was the gold standard?

Both colleges are accredited by the IACP, BUT, the PCI course is accredited by Middlesex College in the UK, not sure that cert would hold much water against an Irish QQI Awarded certificate. I could be completlely wrong.

I just assumed QQI would be the Gold Standard in Ireland. See below. taken from learning rooms

Benefits of a QQI qualification

There are a number of reasons to consider completing courses which lead to a QQI qualification. QQI qualifications are recognised by employers as an indication of the level of learning and skills development. QQI awards are recognised internationally as valuable and portable. As all QQI qualifications are aligned to the NFQ, having a qualification can offer access to higher education and training, right up to and including doctorate level (level 10 on the NFQ). For individuals and employers who are planning to make an investment in both time and money on a training course, it is worth gaining a qualification at the same time.

Quality Assurance

Providers with policies and procedures quality assured by QQI can deliver courses and programmes leading to a QQI qualification. This allows participants feel confident they are receiving a learning experience mapped to the standards and guidelines set by QQI. These standards and guidelines lay down the responsibilities of providers of further education courses in areas such as governance, management, compliance requirements and assessment of achievement.

https://thelearningrooms.com/wps/what-is-qqi/

No i think IACP is the gold standard here.

• Advertisement

Yes the IACP are the over arching body that they both colleges are associated with, but one of the courses is accredited by an Official Irish State body and the other is accredited in a different country. Would you think that fact would affect the value of the course?

Advertisement