Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not doing so well climber

Options
  • 18-05-2023 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hello everyone, we've got 2 Star of Jasmine (we think 🤔) plants, both planted in large pots and are trying to get them to grow over a garage wall. Last year they grew well and had blossoms and appeared to be thriving and we were really pleased. They get a good bit of light during the day and we've barely watered them at all due to all the rain so far this year.

For some reason they are fairing really badly at this time and we've no idea what their ailment is. A plant scanning app tells us they are "overwatered" which may well be possible given what rain has fallen, but still seems strange. The pots are elevated off the ground and have multiple drainage holes. They are growing with new shoots climbing up along the trellis and newer leaves appear to be healthy and green but the older leaves all appear yellowed and sickly.

Would anyone have any ideas as to what might be the issue?

Thanks everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

My first reaction to any ill looking plant growing in a pot is "overwatering". Not that you did but when you put a plant in a larger pot you have to water carefully otherwise you have a wet area of new compost around the roots with no way to dry it out until the plant roots grow into it. The bigger the pot you pot up into the more wet compost can surround the roots and the more likely you are to have that problem.

Unless you put a lot of drainage material in a planter (large static pot) then you risk overwatering during the winter just from rain. I'd put drainage material over the bottom quarter of the depth of a large planter, old broken clay pots, covered in a layer of gravel before using a gritty compost. In many cases I'd also put larger drainage holes in the bottom of the planter.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭scrips

Yellowing leaves may indicate a nutritional deficiency such as a lack of Nitrogen, Magnesium or Potassium. Plants in containers would be more prone to this as they use up any available nutrients over time, so try adding organic matter/compost, or use a plant feed/fertiliser.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,287 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is it getting a decent amount of sunshine? It needs frequent feeding at this time of year and a top dressing of organic material would be good too. I found out the hard way that they do not appreciate my 'leave them to it' style of gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭SeanoChuinn

Thanks everyone.

We put some larger clean stone material at the bottom of both pots to allow for drainage and drilled holes throguh the bottom for additional drainage. We literally have not watered it this year as the clay was indicating it was "wet" with a moisture tester and over watered was our first thought. maybe repalcign some top soil with dryer content might help.

In terms of sun shine it gets quite a bit, especially now and is on a south facing wall, so getting sunshine (when it comes) more or less all day until sun moves into the west in later evening time.

We haven't given it any nutrient at all for fear of doing more harm than good, but given the advice here might look into that. We've lots of nettle growth around us so could make up some nettle water but also have pre made nutritional mixes we could add or what would you recommened?

Thanks for the help folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

We haven't given it any nutrient at all for fear of doing more harm than good

Can't really go wrong with a foliar feed to see if the plant picks up.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭standardg60

Going to say a severe lack of nutrient here, and a good example that trying to grow climbers in a pot is rarely successful.

Nettle water ain't going to cut the mustard, a good granular feed should see results.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,287 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agreed, growing climbers in a pot just doesn't seem to work, tried it a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭SeanoChuinn

We feared as much with the pots alright 😔, but unfortunately had no other options other than to use pots in that area as there was no natural ground available. We'll try adding some nutrients and see how we go. Thank you everyone for all the great advice. Really appreciate it.

Advertisement