Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot add printer to windows

Options
  • 18-05-2023 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭

First off

I'm a database admin, so it's not reinstalling drivers :)

I've a printer/scanner in the house that every device will connect to (all running windows 10 or 11 or android) except for one laptop (runnings windows 11)

It can see the printer on the network but it cannot installed the driver. "Driver is Unavailable"

Strangely the driver for the scanner installs ok only the printer one fails. To me it looks like some sort of security or possible hang issue (hangs for few seconds while attempting to install the driver, and then just fails.)

Cannot see anything definitive in the app logs.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?

G.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 train.up.

Is it the full manufacturer driver or Windows driver installed?

Check the port is ip address and not WSD port.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭chancer007

are you connecting wireless or direct cable from laptop to printer? Have you tried sending any doc from the laptop to printer to test?

strange one alright,i know for a HP printer you can install HP Smart app & connect to printer via app...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Have you tried disabling windows verifying the driver is the most up to date and installing an older driver?

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Here's a video with the issue :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQCArBHzMno

Full manufacturer driver is available

Wirelessly

It doesn't even recognize that there is a printer there.

I might try hard wiring it

• Advertisement

Thats BS

Every other machine in the house is running 11 or 10

I'm also after testing it with another printer and it wont add the printer on that either

G

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Is not Win11 S mode on laptop by chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 train.up.

Instead of installing the available device, try selecting The printer is not listed,,then manually add IP address and when prompted browse to the full manufacturer driver location.

So this Error led me to this:

2.Type Gpedit.msc into Run box and press Enter to run Local Group Policy Object Editor.

3. In Local Group Policy Object Editor, under Local Computer Policy, expand(double-click) each of the following:

Computer Configuration---->Administrative Templates----> Printers.

4. On the right side of the screen, double click on ‘Disallow installation of printers using kernel mode drivers' setting to open Disallow installation of printers using kernel mode drivers window, click Disabled, and then click OK.

Rename the two folders below:

C:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\W32x86

C:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\x64

But that in turn was a pain in the swiss cause it's home edition so I had to install GPEDIT via:

@echo off

pushd "%~dp0"

dir /b %SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientExtensions-Package~3*.mum >List.txt

dir /b %SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientTools-Package~3*.mum >>List.txt

for /f %%i in ('findstr /i . List.txt 2^>nul') do dism /online /norestart /add-package:"%SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\%%i"

pause

I think it's fixed now...

Swear to f**k...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

If you have a desktop that's always on was going to suggest a quick fix would be to share it from there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Kernel mode? Is that not an NT 4.0 driver? I thought anything Windows 2000 or later was user mode.

Windows is the most fookin annoying OS ever. It particularly hates co-operating with certain printers. On the other hand I usually print via my iPhone with relative ease.

Advertisement