Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ryanair 10kg carry on or check in cases

Options
  • 16-05-2023 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

We have a ryanair booking with 2 x 10kg carry on & 1 x 20kg check in cases, its not clear if I can check in the 2 10kg cases rather than carry them on board, is this possible? is there an extra charge for this?............waiting for official reply from ryanair....thanks

Post edited by Tenger on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Your carry on cases are for carrying on. Your check in bag is for checking in. I would have thought that was clear? Of course Ryanair will charge more to change that, they charge for every change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

Why did you feel the need to talk down to me in your reply? your reply isn't helpful, however if that's the way you like to start your day with rudeness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

They wilol let you check in the carry on bags for free if you ask. In fact a lot of the time if you are bringing your checkin bag to the desk they will ask you do you want to check in your carry on bags free of charge too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You would have to pay with Ryanair.

The issue has become more confusing following Aer Lingus's new policy of taking 'carry on' baggage and putting it in the hold 'for free', though with them you have to pay to take your carry on baggage on the plane with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

No need for the curt response. 🤷‍♂️

OP we have a a family plus booking for an upcoming holiday. From my understanding unless you book priority you need to check in both the 10kg and 2kg bags. If you have booked priority then you have the choice from my understanding. They do not allow pooling anymore so you must have two bags as opposed to a 30kg case. The odd thing is the bags do not need to be 10kg and 20kg one can be 25kg and the other 5kg. It's an odd policy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭techman1

As regards the free small bag that comes with the cheapest fare, they have become very strict on this lately. I have seen them pulling up alot of people because their bags are too big

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Are you sure? I've never had this happen with ryanair, particularly since they now can sell you a 10kg check in bag. With Aer Lingus yes, they used to, but now you have to check it in and pay to bring it onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

The OP can't check in a bag if it's booked for carry-on.

Happens to me all the time. Just go to the desk to check in your bags. They will see that you have a carry on bag booked on and ask you do you want to check in your carry on bag into the hold for free? If they dont just ask them can you check it in. Lets you wander around the airport bag free.

still no reply from Ryanair, Ive seen them asking passengers if they want to check in their 10kg cabin bags too but I don't want to be stuck paying extra after paying already.

• Advertisement

Ryanair never reply to anything. Its not policy. Its just them trying to keep bags out of the cabin.

I'll wing it so,..pardon the pun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭skibum

Let us know how you get on, I will be in a similar situtation during the summer. Thanks

Will do, I've actually asked a travel journalist I know, he takes multiple trips every year & he's confused too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

And so they should, a lot of people really do take the P*ss with the size of bags they try sneak on for free, thus leaving no overhead locker space for those who have paid to bring bags onboard...

So logically from what I see on Ryanair's site, if you wish to book a flight you may add "Regular" to your booking which allow to bring a 10kg "Carry-on cabin bag" without the suggestion that this can be checked in as part of that fare, as you wish to check in your bag then it can be 10kg, 14kg or up to 20kg but you select the "Plus" add-on which also gets you a reserved seat, the weight of the bag doesn't matter so long as it's below the weigh limit...the cost is only a few euro over the Regular fare...

Ok I just got through to Ryanair on the phone, I put my question to the guy & unfortunately his reply although very polite was quite direct, " no you can't check in your 10kg cabin bags, we are quite strict on that, what you can do is pay extra at check in to have them added to your hold luggage" so there we have it folks, that would be almost €90 extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭FazyLucker

Yes I can validate this, I was in the airport last week and watched several flights boarding only for several people to be pulled aside, Ryanair staff person typing away and out comes the credit card!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭techman1

I think for a long time they turned a blind eye to it, but then people started bringing very large rigid bags and also the flights nearly at full capacity now after covid

What they say and what they ask you are two different things. If you are checking a bag go up to the thesk where the luggage goes on the belt and check it in with the person there. They will then ask you if you would like to check in any cabin baggage into the hold for free. Happens every time.

• Advertisement

Or like what I said above, just pay an extra few €uro to get the plus fare and check in your luggage, don't worry if it's 12kg or 14....

I don't think they care about the weight of the bag for carry-on, its more the size of it that gets their attention.

UPDATE: Yes we were asked if we want to checkin our 2 10kg cabin bags but there was a cost involved, not free. Another thing we noticed was that they were allowing travellers on with 10kg cabin an big bags/backpacks (not small underseat bags as in their rules) for us seated in row 6 it meant all the overhead lockers were full & we had to put ours above row 8. On the return they allowed someone with a larger case on board, the cabin crew asked who owned this larger case but nobody claimed ownership, to allow the locker to close the crew turned it length ways & removed both of our bags & stored them above row 7 behind us, I protested our bags were not the problem but the oversize case & he should find the owner of the offending case but he just ignored me. ( when getting off in Dublin I reminded him of the security issue allowing an unclaimed case to travel) BTW the seats on ryanairs new 737 max planes are like granite & the overhead air fans are useless. rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just wondering how strict they are on the sizes of the 10kg carry on bags. We have a hotch potch of carry on bags in our house and I don't know if they are too big for Ryanair's dimensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

I wondered this too as I'm just back from family holiday in Italy. 5 of us and we'd 1 x 20kg and 5 x 10kg as part of the family plus fair. I had to go digging on their website as it wasn't clear at all. Eventually found it and they do have the dimensions for the 10kg checked in bag as the normal smaller suitcase style. The one we'd typically say is a 10kg cabin bag. That said, self service bag drop at dubin there is no way for them to tell the size of the bag and it'd go purely by weight. So as long as we were within the combined weight it'd all be good. I'd say the issue could be on the way back where by the Italian airport was check-in staff and they looked at each and every bag including what we were carrying on board.

Now to be fair one family were taking the piss with the carry on. The dad had a "back pack" which was really a canterbury bag with wheels that was way bigger than the normal 10kg case. He fought it but ended up paying. Not a hope that was fitting anywhere near under the seats.

They are very strict, I saw several people being caught out when boarding a flight. I'd say the weight doesn't bother them, its just the size of them that twigs them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Has to fit into their dimension checker stands or boxes they have at the gate. If it doesn't they'll charge you to put it in the hold. It's been like this pretty much since their inception, I even remember buying a suit case over 10 years ago and it came with a "Ryanair Cabin Bag Approved" sticker on it.

They don't care about weight as long as it's not obvious that you're over (i.e. can you carry it in one hand comfortably).

Their rules are so strict partially because of people taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Cheers folks. I guess it'll be out with the measuring tape tonight so!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭Trampas

For carry on I find having a non rigid bag helps. Once it fits into the box it’s fine so just squash in the sides. Can’t do that with rigid. Depending how busy the flight is also plays a part.

Funniest I had was last year we had 10kg x 4 and 20kg x 1 on booking as family fare. We only had 3 10kg but try tried to charge us for excess luggage as we only had 4 bags and not 5 and the 5th bag be the 20kg. No issues going over but coming home from Lanzarote so I guess they see it as an easy target. So I gave them an empty kids bag which had to go to oversize/special luggage. People in line had a good laugh about it.

Advertisement