Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychology research for thesis on gambling

Options
  • 16-05-2023 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi folks, I am conducting research for my thesi that explores links between gambling and certain video game mechanics. This research is being conducted as part of my studies and will be submitted for examination.

If you have any questions not answered below, please don't hesitate to ask!

The research involves filling out a survey (5 to 7 minutes approximately). The survey is linked at the bottom of this post(I have to give you all the introductory info first to satisfy ethical requirements)

Please read the following information before deciding whether to participate.

What are the objectives of the study?

This study aims to discover if video game micro-transactions or loot box mechanics are linked to the same behavioural motivations as gambling behaviours. A debrief will be offered after participation, where any questions additional will be answered following participation.

Why have I been asked to participate?

I would like to collect information from different people regarding this quantitative study on the behavioural similarity of video game microtransactions mechanics to gambling.

In order to participate, you must meet the following criteria:

•       Must over 18 years of age

Format of the study

There are two surveys involved in the experiment – a micro-transaction and loot box task survey and a gambling survey.

Right to withdraw

Participants have the right to withdraw from the research at any time for whatever reason. Participants can also request at any time to have their response data removed from record.

Are there any benefits from my participation?

While there will be no direct benefit from participation studies like this can make an important contribution to our understanding this topic further. As such, the findings from this study may be presented at national and international conferences and will be submitted for publication in peer-reviewed journals. Interim and final reports will be prepared. However no individual participant will be identified in any publication or presentation. Individuals will not be offered any monetary or other rewards for their participation.

Are there any risks involved in participation?

There are no known risks associated with participation. After participation, a debriefing stage will be offered where any further questions will be answered, or any questions can be emailed to my email address below.

Confidentiality

All individual information collected as part of the study will be used solely for experimental purposes. They will be stored safely and will not be publicly displayed or published without prior consent. Data collected is stored in the EU, for five years, and will be used for research purposes to generate research content such as publications and presentations.

Please note this research has been ethically approved by the DBS College Human Research Ethics Committee.

https://forms.gle/YqqbguNzRQ7iXeZbA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 MickyBest

What are micro-transactions? Something like small top-ups? For example, £1.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Don’t think it needs a thesis to realise that loot boxes/micro transactions have almost the exact same impact as a roulette spin/blackjack hand

Look at the animations etc

Advertisement