Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screentime not working

Options
  • 14-05-2023 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Forgive me if this has already been covered, but I've searched and can't see that it has.

My daughter has moved from android to an iphone, and it seems to have been a terrible mistake, in regards to parental controls.

I've set up all restrictions by the book, but no matter what, it won't restrict social media apps. E.g., I can set Tiktok to a one hour limit, but it still loads, same with any other social media app. But applying the exact same rules to a non social media app, and the limit works perfectly. From googling, this seems a hugely common problem that Apple aren't acknowledging, and the official fix appears to be just go through the set up steps again.

If I try downtime, it locks all apps except for the social media ones... and they're not on an allowed list.

Anyone here actually got a fix for this issue that works??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Not a problem I've heard of before but suggestions online to add the apps not behaving correctly to the Always Allowed list, restart settings and then remove the apps from the Always Allowed list.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253693869?answerId=253693869021#253693869021

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Will try, thanks. Mad that what's obviously a very important requirement has so many problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭webpal

I’ve got this issue also, did you have any luck? TikTok and Snapchat are the culprits, the ones you actually want to limit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

No, I gave up with official fixes. At best, people seem to get it working temporarily.

Instead I was recommended an app called qustodio. It has pros and cons. Good is you can set time limit per app, and it seems to cover all apps. Bad is, if you reach a time limit on a particular app, it seems to cut off internet access for all other apps too. And if you want to give more time, you need to go into that day and change the time limit allowed, rather than just a quick boost of 15 minutes of something. You need to remember to put the limit back also.

BUT

it works, so it will do for now. And I imagine the things I don't like can be resolved as feature requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭webpal

Just revisiting this again, is anyone else still having this issue? New iPhone and still the same issue as the last one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement