Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are metaphysical-spiritual sciences?

Options
  • 14-05-2023 12:11pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,022 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Can this approach be used to study across various forms of spirituality? I recently ran across a very small higher degree granting (e.g., bachelors, masters, divinity doctorate) education institution called the University of Metaphysical Sciences in Arcata, California.

I understand that metaphysics is one branch of philosophy, the others being epistemology, logic, and ethics. In this particular case, the metaphysical study of the fundamentals of spiritual reality.

The science title of this institution as applied to the study of spirituality has been historically and philosophically controversial. I assume that it is a highly subjective and qualitative method of data collection and analysis, and not an empirical, objective, or quantitative method to examine the spirituality phenomena? For example, the here and now of spirituality could be studied through meditation.

Francis Bacon rejected scholastic metaphysics, rather advocating what is known as empirical science today that is mathematically measurable (i.e., quantitative abstract reasoning). Which agreed with the later David Hume, who thought of any divinity school of metaphysics as “nothing but sophistry and illusion.” See Hume’s Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding.

Your thoughts?

Advertisement