Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chat GPT

Options
  • 13-05-2023 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭

Well folks,

It's like a bomb gone off for some academic institutions. For others, it's helping shortening workloads, helps generate tests, report cards, summarise work, etc.

Cats out of the bag and no point trying to ban it.

Definitely problematic woth CBA and Leaving Cert projects.

*this post was not written by GPT

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

TurnItIn is rolling out an AI detector. In the meantime, close reading should pick it up, or raise suspicions in the same way as traditional plagiarism, given the current prevalence of so-called hallucinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I typed a past LC HL history question. I would have given the Chat GPT answer a H3. It lacked the detail of a H1. Not bad for the early iteration of a new technology and undoubtedly it will get to a H1 in later versions but not good enough now so I'd be wary about the quality of answers I would get back on things I know nothing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Interesting, our history teacher got a H2 and H1 answer, but added a good few parameters. He got students to compare the two.

Some of the English teachers are in Heaven.

New topic, create bullet points adjust for list levels , import into powerpoint. Use designer option for graphics.

Create comprehension text on topic, create comprehension /essay questions.

Also group work/pair work/ differentiate a topic. One teacher who's really into it can do all this in 10 minutes.

There's a great Facebook forum CHATGPT for Teachers. Shows how other teachers are using it. The plagiarism detector is totally unreliable though so don't go failing students just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭amacca

I have found if you ask it to do certain tasks for you it will proclaim with complete confidence its answer is correct......The answer starts off with a the perky "sure" of a car salesman and then it proceeds to give a totally inaccurate answer

Anytime you challenge it, it will then say sorry and proceed to give you another inaccurate answer.....with complete confidence. You would absolutely need to know something about some topics to verify its answers otherwise you could look like a wally.....

Its still a very impressive bit of tech and it will no doubt get more refined with each iteration but the free version struggles with anything related to setting up shapes or spatially related but you wouldn't know it from the answers, I corrected it multiple times on a request and it still kept spitting back inaccurate answers, which it then described inaccurately...I found it interesting its unable to predict the exact length of its answers and it can give a wrong answer and then not be able to describe accurately that answer it just gave (in terms of numbers of items in it etc etc) - so its assembling on the fly and it doesn't appear to be storing info about its own answer so it can just look up the details and accurately give a description of what it has done - I assume that would take up too much memory and would mean it couldn't be offered to the public --[I'm wondering if there are rooms in places where these things have access to much more resources in terms of memory and what they can do]

I read that the more recent version was able to give quite a good answer to questions like how you would stack a nail, 3 eggs and a book etc in such a way that they would be stable

I found it much better on text but still prone to being generic, bland and inaccurate on occasion too.....as has been mentioned the better you get at prompting it the more the quality of the written answers improves.

I'm not sure what to really think about the tech yet but cant help feeling pandoras box has been opened, I think there is open source code out there so no doubt we will see multiple versions and applications of tech (with many more disruptive as well as probably very useful applications) like this pop up over the coming years

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MeganOgden

The impact of AI in academia is undeniable. While it's true that it can be a game-changer in terms of efficiency and productivity, it does pose challenges in maintaining academic integrity, especially in high-stakes assessments like CBA and Leaving Cert projects. The cat's out of the bag indeed, and the best way forward is to find responsible and ethical ways to harness the power of AI, like the best AI content writer tools, for educational purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Let's not kid ourselves though, it's not AI it's just a thinly veiled plagerism machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

Kinda like how humans are. Especially leaving cert. Input information. Memorise and store. Regurgitate in your "own" words

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭babyducklings1

So how will it be managed? Couldn’t a student submit an AI written assignment as their own work. Is there a tool for scanning the document to see if it is AI generated or not. Could it be code checked or something , No idea .So much to unpack. Interesting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

We shouldn't try to combat a useful tool but rather adapt to its existence. Same way we did for calculators and pcs and phones (literally the entire corpus of world knowledge in your pocket)

Instead of written assignments, memorization of formulas and practice papers (lol) to excel in school/exams, we should be moving to real world experience. Team work, creativity, real problem solving, continuous assessment.

I feel a lot of my schooling in secondary and college did little to assist me other than social skills. In fact in my 40s I'm using brilliant.org to re-explain mathematical fundamentals i memorised to get by in school but didn't actually comprehend real world applications of it.

• Advertisement

I think that's a fair point

In practice however I've noticed when its more about creativity etc...very little gets done and the student appears to know very little or doesn't tend to gain much understanding or be very skilled afterwards either.

I think the way education operates will have to change drastically to put a huge amount more responsibility/autonomy on the student if its going to be primarily team work, creativity etc etc ....the teacher would have to be more like a facilitator and its very much up to the student to engage/do or not do.....a lot of all the other functions such as the disciplinary stuff would need to be automated/or handled by another party

I also think there's still very much a place for written or oral assessment and actually being able to demonstrate your ideas/understanding on paper.....In fact I'd imagine AI means the only way to assess someone at the moment and be fairly sure that have gained some level of understanding/knowledge is via a written or oral test/examination or some form of live in the moment practical/demonstration

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭circadian

I'm in agreement with this, we were taught to memorise everything but when it came to understanding the fundamental reasons most of us were screwed. Making the leap from GCSE chemistry to A-Level chemistry was a particular eye opener for me where I blazed GCSE because all I had to do was remember but once I had to actually understand the theory behind it all I began to struggle as there was very little foundation.

These days I try to apply what my kids are learning to their everyday living, and although they're still in primary school I think it helps them see things beyond hypotehticals.

Advertisement