Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katelyn Tuohy: An athlete to watch out for

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Not sure she is world champion material, will do well in America standards, but stepping up to the African level is another thing

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Runster

I thought the same about Hassan (on a European level) some time back but she came through on numerous occasions on the world stage.

I know Tuohy has a long way to go, still being in college but is also a pro athlete.

These women peak in their mid to late twenties and although there is loads of absolutely exciting, brilliantly talented women on the long distance stage (my favourite track events 5k, 10k for women), she still plenty of time given the right nurturing. She's a machine with the right attitude. I'm backing her :)

Has anyone heard any update about katelyn tuohy?

She had those terrible races in the NCAA finals and then just dropped off the radar.

I cant seem to find anything about her but maybe shes still licking her wounds.

I think her plan is to finish off her college life instead of going pro early.

It seems like the right thing for her since she seems like she would prefer the college experience than going pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

I'd imagine there was a bit of an off season for her since the NCAA track finals. The NCAA cross country are back late Oct/early Nov so I'm presuming she will be looking to retain her title there and probably training for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Tuohy opened her season on Friday at the Nuttycombe XC, finishing 2nd to Parker Valby. Valby broke Allie Ostrander's course record, which had stood since 2015. Sophie O'Sullivan was 65th in her first race after her tremendous summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

Does seem to be a show-down looming between Valby and Tuohy. The Nationals will be a good watch.

Just finished the Lauren Fleshman book, Good for a Girl. That's what makes it hard to read, about absolute assurances that this one and that one will be a future World Champion.

And as for the Sifan Hassan comparison.. pleae don't bring her into this. I can't look at her and not think Salazaar.

So where was Salazazaar when she won the London marathon on her first attempt of marathon plus loads of other victories since she departed ways with him.

You can believe what you want. I just don't trust her. And whatever gains she had under Salazaa

Apologies.

Whatever gains she had under Salazar, she obviously hasn't lost. Her times, achievements belong in the same sceptical realm as Farrah's does.

I'm not getting into it under a different post about a different athlete. I just wouldn't be comparing anyone to Sifan Hassan.

https://athleticsillustrated.com/sifan-hassans-jaw-dropping-double-in-doha-clouded-in-controversy/

• Advertisement

Well we could say the same for a lot of pro athletes.

I definitely agree with you about Farah and the proof was in the pudding where he didnt really perform to the same level once he finished with Salazar. Although some would argue that he was getting older and didnt suit longer distances. But I never trusted him.

But Hassan has continued to perform to this day, surely she would be tested regularly particularly being associated with the Oregon Project but who knows if drugs can even be detected these days.

Shes a marvelous athlete either way and nothing has been proven about her. I havnt heard of her missing tests etc. Have you heard anything solid other than speculation?

This has gone way off topic and I'm happy to pm you.

Nothing will ever be proven against the firm majority of athletes who dope. It's the literal idiots who fail tests these days. And by failed tests, it's usually whereabouts failures.

My final public notice on this, is that Sifan Hassan is a great athlete. No question. But like the Team Sky athletes and Dave Brailsford.. She has surrounded herself with dodgy folks. Enough that it should still be raising a modicum of doubt upon her performance. She could have picked anyone else but she stayed with Nike.

And not just Salazaar but his disciple, Rowberry too. He didn't exactly back Mary Cain when she came out against Alberto and the NOP.

You want to back Hassan to the hilt. Be my guest.

I can see the analogy that you're using in regards to getting a free pass if thats what you think.

Hassan wasnt coached directly by Salazar and if she wasnt done for anything then why wouldnt she stick with

the biggest sponsor in the world?

Getting back to comparing Tuohy to Hassan, we have no idea what path Tuohy will take in the future

so really I can compare her with Hassan or not as I was commenting hypothetically.

For the moment she is just a very youthful for her age college athlete who has a long road ahead of her and who shows promise.

Absolutely.

With the world at her feet.

But for the record, Hassan and Salazaar were intrinsically tied together. NOP was under investigation and she still joined up and then.. you guessed it.. got quicker.

Cough cough..

So what happened after that, did they study any more data?

That particular data set, came from Fancy Bears.

So it's unlikely that the data would ever have seen the light of day otherwise.

It's worth noting that Robs data was in relation to a planned medical procedure. Bit idiotic to have to take a sample after it, but that's WADA for you.

On a sidenote. Kiprop was caught, two years later.

This is fast changing to an entirely different scope, so I will ultimately not reply, so as not to sidetrack others.

But at least you can see why I had such a disagreement with associating any young athlete with Hassan.

Peace brother.

Well no disrespect but everyone knows about the possibilities with Hassan and lots of other athletes.

But she is also an example of someone who was just a great european runner right up to her mid 20s.

She did expand into a world level champion as part of the Nike Project.

But you have kind of twisted the initial comment to suit your own argument.

As I said above, its a hypothetical comparison and Tuohy could join Nike in the future and become as big as Hassan.

Then can we comparce or do you just want to talk about drug taking?

If thats the case then you may as well wipe off about half the world class field and not bother discussing athletics at all.

Its a tiresome discussion and it seems to end every thread so I'm not going to bother responding on it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SuspectZero

Hassan was World class at Touhy's age. In 2014 when Hasan was the same age as Touhy was during outdoors this year, she had the fastest outdoor 1500m time in the World that whole year(10 seconds faster than Touhy has run at the same age). At 22, Hassan was a World Champs bronze medalist behind Kipyegon and Dibaba.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Edit: (never mind)

Post edited by Murph_D on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

NCAA's are on this afternoon! Apart from Touhy v Valby there are many Irish involved.

I'm sure it's on live on YouTube somewhere.

Post edited by Runster on

That was a bit flat today, much better when there's a few of them chasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Just watched it now

Parker Valby is some athletic. Only runs three days a week. Cross trains the rest, those hills didn't even slow her down. Broke all the records,

Yeah she said she runs max 30 miles a week and cross trains a lot.

Last year when she was injured she said she was running 14 miles a week and she still placed.

Well done Valby

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Sorry for turning this into the Parker Valby watch thread. She smashed the NCAA record in Boston a few days ago. Amazing athlete

Yeah, she's come on leaps and bounds. This is her year on the collegiate scene for sure

Tuohy still made sure she finished the cross country race in a position where the NC State Wolfpacks won the team competition even though she wasn't well.

Shes probably a bit burnt out for now but she's nearly finished college so hopefully she'll make her mark as a Pro. I'm not writing her off.

Tuohy has officially signed as a pro for Adidas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement