Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Maps - Buses/trams, transfers , and walking logic

Options
  • 10-05-2023 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭

Meath to Dublin (and probably any commuter belt area to dublin)

I am wondering if those more experienced commuters, familiar with Dublin, or google maps settings and logic might have some thoughts or tips.

I am finding frequently that google maps wants me to change bus needlessly.

The definition of needless is personal but google maps doesn't have settings to allow us to capture this, is there an alternative map app? Google maps seems to heavily bias away from walking, when a slightly longer walk might avoid transfers, or enable a more direct route.

in terms of an example, if going to somewhere 10-15 min walk slightly south of the Liffey, maps will frequently suggest changing at the north circular road. In my mind this is not what most people do.

On other occasions it might offer two dublin buses where a single transfer onto the red Luas was available, but perhaps the luas triggered a slightly longer walk mid journey or at the end.

Even with "fewer transfers" selected I still see some of this.

Fewest transfers doesn't go far enough for those happy to walk a little bit- transfers introduce risk/delays/hassle. Google maps doesn't factor this and just assumes everything's on time, hassle free transfer etc

It feels like there needs to be a setting to "accept x minutes extra walking", and "add x minute buffer between transfers" which would force more conservative, pragmatic, realistic, or personal (take your pick) options.

because it insists on showing routes which have unlikely transfers it can become difficult to actually plan total real journey time or even confuse what stop is actually most optimum.

I don't think I'm a Luddite on this...but maybe I am?

😎

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Try to change settings within the maps to fewer transfers. Try to use City Mapper app - that I think has more flexible options.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ucsie

This is something I hate about Google maps. I would rather walk 15min to a bus stop then only take one bus, than walk 5 minutes and catch two buses.

I've always thought it should let you select how long a walk is acceptable for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

I'm pretty sure I was selecting a walking speed somewhere, but maybe that was a journey planner within the TFI app? Completely agree that it should flexible with settings. I'd also prefer to walk extra for the sake of a fewer transfers.

Advertisement