Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drum kit advise - buying new kit.

Options
  • 08-05-2023 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

I'm 40 and haven't picked up a pair of drum sticks in over 10 years. Back in the 90s and 00s I owned three good drum kits. My first kit was a Tama Starclassic Performer. It had birch shells and I absolutely loved it. I sold it for a Pearl Masters Birch which I didn't like at all. My last kit was a DW collectors edition maple. It was okay but the Tama always sounded best to me.

I'm into rock and metal and like a kit that has quite a warm tone and doesn't resonate too much. This is why I've always liked Tama Starclassics. I'm also quite short and am drawn to shallower toms. 10x7 and 12x8 is a huge draw factor.

I want to buy a new kit to mess around with at home but with kits being so good these days I don't really want to spend a lot of money and I see there are a lot of maple and birch drum sets available for under €900. Out of all of these kits which one is the best? I've read good things about the Yamaha Stage custom.

Yamaha Stage Custom Studio

Yamaha Stage Custom Standard

DW PDP CM4 Standard

Mapex Mars Birch Stage Shell

Mapex Mars Rock Shella

Tama Superst. Classic Shells

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Like you said you don’t need to spend a lot these days for what you get. Once you switch the heads out, good to go. Although they’ve risen in price dramatically. Either Ambassadors or Emperors will make any kit sing.

Yamaha kits are bullet proof, the natural finish looks exceptional for the price. Plenty of YouTube videos if you don’t have access to a local music outlet.

I own top tier kits from Premier Signia to Tama Starclassic Bubinga. But even my beat up 80’s Export rocks with good tuning and heads. You don’t need to spend big bucks to achieve a great sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

This... But even my beat up 80’s Export rocks with good tuning and heads. You don’t need to spend big bucks to achieve a great sound.

I have a lovely late 90's export, and it is still perfect all these years later (admittedly tidied away for about 10 years in the middle, while I lugged a Roland TD9 around the world.

Good tuning and heads. thos old kits have solid fabrication.

Let us know how you get on.

Advertisement