Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA Mass Shooting stories/violence in US “mega thread”

Options
  • 08-05-2023 9:31pm

The last week or so has seen Overheal mainly post every time there’s a mass shooting in the states.

Normally this would lead to very few threads of course but as we all know America is a bit strange and seems to think 200 in 5 months is normal, anyway, I digress.

My point is I think at this point there’s little sense in posting a thread or more a day when in reality all these discussions effectively conclude that shooting up a cinema, mall, playground, school is bad.

There’s the debate about gun control and so on of course and the motives of the individual(s) involved but again they all are sort of the same.

Seeing as I’m not the only one who noticed it & it’s even led to a forum request for a USA CA forum I think it might be reasonable that it forms a mega thread type deal.

For example we don’t have a thread for every move Donald trump makes or Biden, because there’s dedicated threads for them. The same for the Ukraine war. i think it would make more sense to consolidate the discussions into one thread rather than the CA front page being filled with mostly mass shooting stories.

Honestly if for no other reason than there’s plenty of shite happening in Ireland to depress you without seeing 6 threads on the first page alone regarding the subject.

Overheal was asked what the point is in their most recent to which they replied my question had nothing to do with the Texas shooting.

I think that says it all.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I’m sure beasty set up a kind of mega thread a few years back when a couple of posters kept posting USA threads in a similar vein to the ones we’re seeing over the last while. I tried searching for it but can’t recall what it was called.

Seeing as most shootings in our own country get posted in the gangland thread, the same principle should apply to mass shootings in the US too.

Yeah that’s the other one I was thinking off the Gangland one. All gang related stories go there we don’t have several threads about it. Those interested in the topic can follow the thread and it doesn’t fill the feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Found the last feedback thread but haven’t scrolled through it yet 😂

Edit: I meant to paste the start of the thread. Sorry

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Not sitewide feedback - moved to Help Desk which deals with complaints

thanks beasty, that’s my mistake sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,878 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

First line of the OP suggests this feedback thread is just part of a bullying campaign, because as user has admitted,

multiple threads a day, with the same basic topic, is getting a bit annoying to some users (myself included)

And has engaged on threads they take exception to with off-topic trolling of the OP in 2 or more of those instances.

Of the threads in question 1 was a shooting in a mall, 8 dead, white supremacist

The other was a mass shooting involving a honduran family vs an illegal immigrant

And the third everyone is in a twist about today, is a thread about a mass vehicular manslaughter.

Frankly, I don't see these 3 as interrelated per se, and I encourage the OP of this feedback thread to suggest an appropriate thread title for a megathread that would adequately give room to discuss the tragedies without getting rapidly conflated or confusing. People would complain 'why didn't you mention such and such shooting' 378 pages into the thread ago, making it impossible to manage information.

You omitted mentioning in your OP when a forum mod made a post about another mass shooting, so clearly it cannot be just a bare mass shooting megathread indeed. Those 2 mass shootings as it turned out, also had no relation to the above 3 examples.

Clearly the issue you have is not that they were mass shootings or murders or hate crimes at all, but that they were stories from The United States, and this appears to be a form of bigotry. And you speak about my country in such disparaging terms, "but don't take it the wrong way"

I've repeatedly asked Raichu if he has such off topic commentary directed at me personally that he can take it up with me in PM but he continues to deride me in public as "a petulant child" and acting the "maggot" etc. and is now escalating it to public spectacle in the feedback forum to wit, to "waste the time of the CMods" instead of the shortest route to a resolution (PM the person you purport to want to speak with rationally, "don't take this the wrong way" etc) ; I don't think from that evidence I would encourage anyone to treat the OP's post as a sincere entreatment.

I wasn't the best mod either but I think you do represent a poor standard for the brand with all this.

jaysus overheal I’d need to be in your mind to understand how you perceive this as bullying? I am just completely lost here.

So I'm 'being a petulant child,' 'acting the maggot,' my country is a "shithole" but 'don't take this the wrong way how could you perceive this as bullying gosh I'm just completely lost'

QED.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No-one is required to post in any threads. If threads are not popular they will quickly drop off the front page. Threads only continue if posters wish to discuss the underlying topic. If people don's want to read a thread then move on

I'm pretty sure I did set up a US Shootings thread in CA. It may have been limited to School shootings, but I have been unable to find it, and equally anyone wishing to add to it may have struggled to find it and started new threads instead

I will start another US mass shootings megathread to keep all these discussions in one place, as I fully understand that some posters do get bit sick of seeing such threads given the number of mass shootings taking place there.

But since you avoided my question previously as it was “off topic”, I’ll ask you here where it is the topic.

Scarcely have I seen these types of discussions focus on much more than the shooters motives, their access to guns being wrong or justified, the controls that should be/could be in place etc 

So my question is why don’t we just consolidate all the threads into one (similar to Ukraine, trump, Biden threads) so the discussion can take place there instead of across multiple threads. 

Is it not fair to say that could also lead to more enriched discussion as you can compare and draw parallels to different cases etc? I posted it here if one of the mods happened to see and wish to bring that discussion to the relevant people. DM’ing you is not really worth my time given the responses I’ve received here honestly. 

I also don’t believe you or I as normal users are permitted to open “mega threads” I would have assumed that’s reserved for mods or admins.

I’m sure now you will answer.

• Advertisement

Thanks beasty. And I absolutely agree (I don’t think I posted at all in them save this and possibly one other) but in fairness having 6 threads on the first page being more or less the same thing as you say becomes tedious.

Regardless appreciate the swift response and decision.

I'm pretty sure I did set up a US Shootings thread in CA. It may have been limited to School shootings, but I have been unable to find it, and equally anyone wishing to add to it may have struggled to find it and started new threads instead

They become impossible to parse, and eventually the discussion gets consumed by whataboutery of itself: 'well whatabout' (this shooting we already discussed but nobody remembers from 300 pages ago) etc. 'why didn't you discuss that huh' (we did...)

So it’s easier to find a thread from 30 pages back in CA?

A megathread is now set up. Please use that for all future discussion of mass shootings in the US

I am not merging any existing threads in as that is likely to confuse the train of discussions, and the impact of the OP may be reduced

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The poster just spams endleslly in general, consecutive posts, containing links and little else, mostly to try bury posts he doesnt like. N

Beasty will lock certain threads on certain topics because there's a similar existing thread, where's he's convienently banned everyone whose opinion he doesnt like, but this lad seems to be given special dispensation.

Odd.

Why is off topic in air quotes like you as a mod don't acknowledge it was off topic and had nothing to do with the thread topic?

Answered above to beasty. Megathreads on this subject become a mess.

We've been around this circuit before, without all the direct personal attacks.

Users back then also similarly argued against it, as the shootings and the arguments and the facts become muddled and disjointed, facts from case A get misapplied to case B, pages long argument devolves, etc. and how do you competently differentiate the discussion between police shootings, mass shootings, school shootings, vehicular manslaughter, in death police custody, etc. etc.

Per the thrust of that and this same discussion, these threads fall off the page much faster without all the dogpiling, moaning and groaning posts that seem like they are almost a mandatory inclusion as the first handful of replies to any US violence thread (especially those posted by my well established account). The Serbian mass shooting thread for instance - no such noise posts, and it fell off the front page SO FAST that it became a whataboutism in... US mass shooting threads, to complain 'why don't we discuss that' (which I actually did, and few if any of these characters have)

No one is getting any special "dispensation" as the user referred to in this thread can vouch.

I would suggest you think about your own behaviour on this site if you wish to turn this thread into a discussion about me as my patience with you has worn very thin

Google results with "site:boards.ie" as the end prefix are vastly more responsive to pulling up specific threads on specific incidents. Yes the threads are much, much easier to retrieve. Even with exact word matches with user Posts, meanwhile, the google link virtually never returns you to within a mile of the specific post within the thread.

Because, again, so many older shootings etc. etc. get mentioned in passing, as talking points, whataboutisms etc. it is value-added to Boards.ie to have discrete threads for each of them, so you know you are getting just information related to that shooting, that data stuffing space on a boards hard drive holds value then. No longer just a mash of posts and cross talk but an actual structure of information, how people discussed individual incidents etc. which is great, especially when people making sweeping statements later about "oh the media/the forum/specific users completely ignored that when it was so and so and XYZ killing" (they didn't, there are receipts). Just had it today: users accused me of a left wing democrat agenda etc. and ignored when I initiated a thread about a mass shooter perpetrated by a trans person (megathread for trans killers?) and thanks to there being a thread of it, boom, receipts.

Only 1 of the threads you complained about, that I generated this week, would fall under the new megathread you said was so desperately needed.... ?

No one is getting any special "dispensation" as the user referred to in this thread can vouch.

Indeed, the user referred to in this thread is thusly referred to in the apparent megathread, in what appears to be as read an apparent endorsement of the OP of this thread in its entirety, despite evidence raised from myself, and statements from others that the user who is OP of this thread is engaged in Bullying.

Couldn't at least frame the OP for the new megathread in a more even handed way, not tied to any specific user or altercation etc. that will still hold up in 3+ years when this megathread is tens of thousands of posts long presumably? Instead users will be linked to and treated to, well this exchange, from that OP, linking to photographic evidence of mods and admins apparently circling the wagons while they excuse themselves to lambast individual registered users as being petulant children acting the maggot etc while other users on the sidelines were left to call out the bullying as something that shouldn't be allowed.

That poster has been spamming the forum with American news dumps, not just shootings, all with racially divisive undertones.

And their debate style is bizarre to say the least. Sarcastic and full of subtle insults.

I think it needs an Overheal sub forum because it’s not what the forum is for and it’s driving real engagement and discussion away. Just look at the first page now it’s a mess. There’s nothing but the same posters making the same arguments over and over and I know I was one of those yesterday

Im just going to ignore them and their agenda from now on anyway. But I think it’s affecting the community at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just a tip if megathread does go ahead, it should be easier for you to find a historic post in the thread if you google the date of the incident. Almost certainly the posts on the megathread will cluster around that date. So you can scan by putting in page numbers until you hit that date - easier on desktop. Or just create a google draft email with the post number per new incident for your own purposes.

It'd be nice if Vanilla had a private notes section in profile area.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Yo do me a favour and stop conflating disagreeing with you as bullying you?

Now you’re gaslighting. Nowhere did I state disagreeing with me was bullying me. I clearly stated what you did that was objectionable. Just stop digging yourself a hole.

Now there are 2 megathreads about mass shootings on the front page

well played.. 🤡

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

There is absolutely a pile on going on with Overheal, and it's pretty shocking that the admin are not only allowing it to happen, but propagating it. There was absolutely no need top have that quote in the opening post: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058295752/us-mass-shootings-megathread-read-op/p1

I do not understand how you can think that that is okay @Beasty

The very simple fact of the matter is that those who are complaining about the threads congesting up the front page are posting in them. Off topic, but still posting in those threads. If they refrained, the topic would fall off the front page. Overheal doesn't usually talk to themselves, after all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,101 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's a suggestion to create a sub-forum for US specific current affairs just opened:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058295712/usa-current-affairs-forum#latest

Poeple may find that to be more of a happy medium to still have separate threads, without filling up the main CA forum.

right overheal I’ll just leave you to be hysterical about it

do me a favour and don’t reply to me anymore and I’ll do the same for you

sound good? Cool.

Surely we’ve been around this rodeo before with US politics etc forums - both forwards and backwards.

The forum is not “filled up” there is no limit to what threads people can post and contribute to.

now we have 2 shooting megathreads in the forum neither of them has taken away any of the threads alleged to have “filled up” the forum.

Or you could just grow the **** up and have PMd me from the outset if you actually wanted to be personable, and not participate in a piling on, deliberately or inadvertently. You cannot acknowledge a mea culpa here though I guess so you have to demand a ceasefire? Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But are the same 3/4 posters then going to demand separate sub forums for other discussions they don't want in CA .

One poster claim's it effecting the community, didn't realize that the rest of us appointed a spokesperson

Advertisement